Resealing a shed roof - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Resealing a shed roof

The shingles on my sheds roof are showing their age and in some places water is getting through. I spot treated the leaks with a rubber spray sealant that you may have seen on TV. Hasn't rained yet so I don't know how good, or bad, this stuff is. But, I am considering coating the entire roof with something to seal an preserve the shingles for another few years. I am considering using driveway sealer over a nylon screen; the kind used for screen doors and windows. I have about 5 gallons of drive way sealer left over from the last time I used it and enough nylon screen from a not so long ago rescreening project. Suggestions and advise will be appreciated.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Sage

Re: Resealing a shed roof

put new shingles on it, when the time comes you will be sorry you did all that other stuff, they wont come off..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just cause tv can waterproof a rowboat with a screen door for a bottom don't mean that's the RIGHT way to do it. For all the time it takes to screen and muck it all up you would have the old roof off and started with new. Use roll roofing if you don't want to deal with tab shingles. Looks a lot better and guaranteed not to leak.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM

9 times out of 10 shed roofs don't even have tarpaper under the shingles unless you built it yourself. Do yourself a favor and put the new shingles on instead of spending money trying to preserve something that may end up costing you more in the long run (plywood replacement etc)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:17 PM

take off the old shingles and get enough feltpaper to cover the roof. cover the feltpaper with gravel paper and your good to go for a long while. you put both of these just like shingles. start at bottom and work up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page