concreting in the woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By miller17015

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

concreting in the woods

Has anybody ever mixed concrete in the hole. I want to anchor my scaffold stand down and I bought an anchor kit.

I was think about just dumping a 80 lb bag in each hold and just adding water.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Sage

Re: concreting in the woods

You really don't need to add water , moisture from the ground will suffice, did when they built my pole barn.....Put some in the hole first then set the posts, or drive heavy nails part way in the posts.I once built my deck by putting concrete around the posts and the snow load caused the deck to settle a little, had to jack it up leveland set blocks under it....because I didn't have a solid bottom..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Concrete mix just dumped in the hole will absorb water and get firm, but not as solid as mixed and poured. I have hauled bags of concrete mix and buckets of water up hills and down to pour for corner posts for high tensil fence.

I mixed it in a 5 gal plastic bucket about a third of a bag at a time, The first third went down first around the post. Then a little dirt and rocks and then the rest of the mixed concrete and filled the rest with tamped dirt and rocks. The posts haven't yet leaned under the tension of the fence.

When my pole barn was built the contractor had 8 inch round x 3 inch brick like things that he dropped down the holes before setting the poles. It was to keep the poles from settling downward. I have been thinking about building a deer tower and would set the poles the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:51 PM

I will tell you the same thing as above; just drop it in dry, it will absorb water from the ground.

We did 500ft of privacy fence, 8inch round holes, 3ft deep, 160 lbs per hole. Doesn't even wiggle.

What do you plan on digging holes with?
I can only imagine the root systems... I'm getting sore just thinking about it.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Part of the Community

I've done it both ways....If I'm planting a pole I usually just dump it in dry as others have said. If I want a concrete pad at the bottom of a hole, I dump the concrete mix in add water and mix it up with the post hole digger and let dry.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I believe the red bags of quikcret say on the bag you don't need to mix it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 PM

We replaced some treated 4X4 posts on our discgolf course by just pouring sakrete around the posts and pouring a bucket of water on top. The weight of the concrete held the posts level until it set up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I work with concrete almost daily as a construction inspector and have ran a two bridge project from the ground up so ill probly over think this but first off-
1. don't spray the metal that will be in the concrete with anything its a bond breaker and can result the concrete breaking loose an allowing water to seep into the cracks.
2. while you can just dump the bags into the ground an allow the moisture to slowly seep into the crete this depending on the size of your hole may end up not fully curing if say the exterior gets moist then hardens the interior where the pole is my never receive moisture you are better off mixing water, as concrete takes up to 30days before hardening completely depending on the size of the pour (the hoover dam is still curing) id suggest 6-12" around the pole for a 4x4" that will be fine.
3. to make the pour easier id go with 40lb bags mix one at a time it doesnt take much water and 40lb can be a handful depending on the person. be sure to use a spade shovel to consolidate concrete in the hole around the poles for a better end product the less air in the concrete the better off you are.

with that all being said depending on what your pouring you may only need a couple of bags from the lowes just make sure it has aggregate(stone) in the mix you dont want a mortar mix without any aggregate it will have no structure strength.
4x4dad likes this.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page