Embarrassing! Can't even change a tire. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Embarrassing! Can't even change a tire.

Got thrown a curveball on a newer vehicle. Of course the old one ran over 15 years. Lots has change since.
My first warning was the dash instruments; low on air in a tire was the warning. Lucky I knew that; the auto manual is nearly 400 pages.
So I proceeded to find where this vehicle hides the spare tire; the jack and the accessories.

The lugs were tight; nothing new. Mechanics been using those power lug removers for years. Always sprayed some WD-40 on the lugs; but didn't work this time. Called for auto assistance.
Didn't know the new lugs are protected from dirt, water, snow and WD 40. Old way won't work or work as easily.

Will buy a better lug wrench, than the manufacturer supplies.
Would drive me nuts, not to change my own flat tire.
Any newbie suggestions are welcomed. And it's a good thing there is auto service and cell phone for calling from the woods, if you can get a connection. Better look into a wrench; if they still sell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 AM

Re: Embarrassing! Can't even change a tire.

A proper sized impact socket with at least a half inch socket ( preferably 3/4) and a three foot breaker bar. Looks like overkill, but I have yet to meet a lug nut I couldn't tackle. They may groan, creak and whine, but they do budge.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Sage

I always have a 4 way, real lug wrench in my vehicle.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
A proper sized impact socket with at least a half inch socket ( preferably 3/4) and a three foot breaker bar. Looks like overkill, but I have yet to meet a lug nut I couldn't tackle. They may groan, creak and whine, but they do budge.
This!^^^^^^
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Also, if your pulling a trailer, make sure you also have a lug wrench to fit the trailer lugs. They are often not the same size as your truck lug nuts.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Ahhhhhh, the ole tire woes. Know them well. Here's a few tips, and they are learned from years of mistakes and misfortune.

- JACKS. To heck with them space saver scissor jacks. If you've ever had to rest a Chevy Suburban on one, you'd know what I mean. I carry a "smallish" 2.5 Ton floorjack with me. Makes life easier.

- TIREKEEPER. You know, that cable with a clasp on the end that you have to insert the pole (through the bumper) in order to lower the tire from underneath a vehicle. Keep that thing well-lubed, or you won't be getting your tire down when you need to.

- LUGS. I know all too well how torqued on those lugs can be after being put on with air impact in a shop. I carry a heavy-duty socket ratchet and socket in my vehicles for the sole purpose of removing lugs. And if need be, I use the extension handle (hollow pipe) from the floorjack as leverage on the socket wrench. Guarantee to break the lug free with the extension.

There's no easier way to wrench your back out, than pulling on a lug that won't break loose. Been there, done it.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM

If you buy one of the 4 way like John S suggests get a good quality one. I always made sure i had one in each vehicle, but I bent and twisted a number of those 4 way things over the years. That is why I went to the impact socket and breaker bar.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 PM

Kobalt and Craftsman make a cordless impact wrench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page