Deck stain recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Deck stain recommendation

I'm gonna be putting a new coat of stain on my deck in the next week or so. Right now I'm leaning toward a semi-transparent stain. What stains have you used? Any recommendations as to what brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Deck stain recommendation

Just did my front porch deck, rear deck, and swimming poll deck in Olympic Elite, bought at Lowes. So far it looks good,been about 6 weeks now, will know better next summer. I have used a lot of different treatments over the last 20 years, never found anything that lasted beyond 3 years. I would stay away from Thompson water seal, doesn't seem to last more than a year, but that's just my opinion. A must is a good clean surface before applying.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been doing a lot of research in preparation for doing my deck. (If I research long enough, maybe I'll put it off until next year. LOL.) Here's what I've found.... Stay away from Behr products. User reviews are terrible. The best ratings I've found are for a brand called "Defy". Seems to the best rated of anything out there. Unfortunately you have to order it via internet. That having been said, I've not used it yet, so I don't have first hand experience. We've use Sherwin Williams Deckscapes twice and I'm not impressed so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 AM
The Man

I used Olympic Elite last year, and it is holding up good..........the best outdoor stain you can get is Sikkens, its pricy

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Did two sets of deck railings with Behr last summer. Applied great not a blemish to be found so far.

Also, used Behr DeckOver on decking last summer. He had Olympic on prior that was beginning to fail after about 5 years. Wood was also beginning to check. DeckOver worked great and not a blemish. Only complaint is that I picked a dark color and the dog's dusty footprints show easily.

Read good things about Silkens but is expensive. BTW: Behr isn't cheap but I am very pleased.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232

Thanks guys. I did some more research. There is very conflicting information out there. Some sites/reviews say behr is the worst and others rate it the best (like consumer reports).
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I wouldnt waste your money on that bear deck over paint, my dad used it and my friends dad on both of their decks and they starting to chip and flake off, and does not seal cracks like the commerical shows unless your putting sevral coats on. I wasnt even remotely happy with the 2 in 1 paint and primer when i used it in my house. As for the deck depending on the wood if its new or in good condtion id go with semi but i like the look of the grain of the wood.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 AM

My deck and dock at the shore take a beating and stains and Thompson's water seal were not cutting it anymore. I used Rustolium deck restore and was very happy with how it turned out.
I think issues those have with this and the Buhr were due to not prepping as recommended. We power washed, sanded and used filler in wide cracks but the rolling part was a piece of cake.
you do need to coat twice but the result was a lot better than I thought they would be. It didn't turn out looking like LumbeRock or Trex but it dose look good.
There is about 50 colors they offer.

No matter what you use if your going to pop open the can and start rolling its going to fail.

Good Luck
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Many times stain failures are do to poor prep. Failure to let pressure treated dry will create bubbles and cracks. If any moisture is present before applying or shortly after application will result in failure.

If the checks/cracks are too big no deck restore will work. On my deck at home, the pressure treated 2x6 were never treated and after 20+ years, no restoration was going to work. I had to strip all the decking and I put down composite. The decking I put DeckOver on was protected, although it was beginning to show a lot of wear. It had small checks and two coats of DeckOver did a great job with no signs of deterioration. It appears to be a very substantial coating.

It was interesting to see how the galvanized nails/fasteners had corroded over the years. Some had all but disappeared.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
New Arrival

I have used True Value deck stain in the past, and had good luck with it.
I do agree that Thompsons water seal is junk, and you are lucky if it last a full year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page