Drywall Finishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Drywall Finishing

So I tried my hand a "mudding" drywall and needless to say it turned out poorly. It truly is an art to get that just right.

Although this is a DIY forum I wondered if anyone could recommend someone in the DuBois area that could finish off a 12X12 (give or take) room for me?

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Drywall Finishing

Can't help with finisher .
First rule of spackling is NEVER put on more than you are willing to sand off. Which should be almost none, light first coat and sand lightly,follow by 2 more light coats ,sanding to get hi spots

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Get yourself a pole sander and I like to use the mesh to sand, especially if you have a lot to grind down. If itís really ugly you might want to use a power sander but be prepared for the dust storm.
Once you have it reasonably flat get a large blade and put more mud on it one pass, in one direction. After itís dried it should be easy to just knock down the roughness.
To finish I always go over with the double sided sanding blocks only pressing lightly.
Itís not hard to finish drywall but it does take practice and patience.
Always seems once you get it down right you donít do it for a while and end up felling like an amateur again. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM

I just did this at my place, I used a wet rag to smooth the joints out,no dust just drip,

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Get a paint mixer for a drill.Mix the joint compound adding water as needed until it is like thick pancake batter.When you get the compound it is too thick without mixing well and usually adding water.It will go on much smoother for you.A 12 inch taping knife for the final coat helps.I don't sand between coats,if there is a hi spot dragging a taping knife down the joint will remove it.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 PM

one more thing, when you get the buckets of joint compound home turn them upside down overnight.when you open them in the am or when ever they will be creamy smooth with no mixing.

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 PM

If you did not final sand, instead of using sandpaper, use a wet sponge. instead of taking mud off, you are smoothing it out. You wont get that crisp look as if you sanded but will look a lot better then what you have. Note: if you sanded to the mesh/paper joint tape, put a additional coat on it.

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
Get yourself a pole sander and I like to use the mesh to sand, especially if you have a lot to grind down. If itís really ugly you might want to use a power sander but be prepared for the dust storm.
Once you have it reasonably flat get a large blade and put more mud on it one pass, in one direction. After itís dried it should be easy to just knock down the roughness.
To finish I always go over with the double sided sanding blocks only pressing lightly.
Itís not hard to finish drywall but it does take practice and patience.
Always seems once you get it down right you donít do it for a while and end up felling like an amateur again. Good Luck
I would advise against a belt sander, unless there's an inch of mud on the wall it's unneeded, all he'll end up doing is sanding down to tape and having to re mud it.

Since i can't see how it looks, if it seems that when you mud your edges are really built up its a simple fix. All you have to do is feather the mud while applying it, I do this by only using 12" blade and reaching into the pan and getting the mud, scrape the sides off, and hen as you apply the mud to the wall, keep a finger on both sides of the blade wih pressure and that will get rid of the edges.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM
New Arrival

Depends on where you are located. I have finished drywall for 16 years
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 PM

Did 3 rooms last winter. It was an old post and beam farm house with crooked walls, etc. Managed to get it pretty good in two rooms. One room just had too many uneven joints. The mudding job, was done to the best of my ability. Looked like crap, but surprisingly, when painted, many of the flaws disappeared. There is definitely something about the contrast between mud and dry wall that makes it look worse before paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page