How to clean aluminum? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

How to clean aluminum?

I have a Grumman aluminum Canoe that is stained from storing outside near trees.
I did use pressure washer and regular soap, but that did nothing. Even went to local hardware store and guy told me 'this will do it', but it didn't. (<span style="font-style: italic">Contractor's Solvent</span>)
Is there a product or homebrew that will clean up aluminum Canoe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: How to clean aluminum?

Hern,

It depends on what you are actually trying to remove. Is it oxidation or is it staining from tannic acid from the trees? An acid is generally used to clean aluminum such as phosphoric or muriatic acid. For small applications such as aluminum pots and pans, household vinegar should do the trick. However, you should seal the aluminum once completed. Aluminum oxide is it's natural protection. Loctite makes Naval Jelly and Aluminum Jelly, either should do the job. You can find it at most hardware stores.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">...or is it staining from tannic acid from the trees?</span></span>
trees
Thanks, s'12
Am going to stop at boat dealer and see what they have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have used HVAC condensing coil cleaner which has acid in it to clean my alum running boards on my old truck. Leaves them super shiney. But it is acid so wash with lots of water and wear goggles

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM
The Man

f your canoe has a bright finish, most of the acids available will dull that finish. There are several options as mentioned, NAPA makes a aluminum wheel cleaner that deoxidizes, but even with that a scrub brush with rubber gloves and eye protection makes it much better.
I have never tried to remove tree stains, but it does work good on aluminum rims.....that are not coated.
There are several products to put the "shine" back to the almuminum, zephyr is a great one and can be found at truck stops. Auto parts stores should have "mothers alm polish", which will work, but takes longer. Any of the products to restore the shine take a lot of elbow grease, and would be much easier with a buffer.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Got it cleaned.
Wife said to try <span style="font-style: italic">'Krud Kutter'</span>, which we had, before I bought another product.
<span style="font-style: italic">Krud Kutter</span> removed the stains.
Sprayed on, then used rat tail scrub brush and plenty of elbow grease, rinse off. Worked fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Saturday morning, I sat my cleaned up Canoe, with a for sale sign, at the end of our driveway.
Sold it! within 4 hours...lol.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Muratic acid
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Today is wis bang's birthday!

aluminum brightener - hydrofluoric acid

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:50 AM
The Man

Ha, I'd have to try my old way. If only me. Been using clorox and dish soap for years, sprayed on aluminum house siding. I don't even power wash the house. I'm just so contrary.
Probably, though, ranks up there with my homemade scent remover that I used on the car with the smoke damage. That and my homemade archery targets that I used for some 20 years. The targets don't have pictures on them.

Sometimes things are so cheap, they can't be recommended. Reminds me I used a reciprocating saw to cut down a small tree. Some things are just too cheap and dangerous to others. Better they spend the money.
Why yesterday I was out practicing with my homemade distance finder. With eyeballs and a right arm, I avoided paying for an electronic one.
But then, some people have to spend good money on one.
I could tell you, but you wouldn't do it anyways. I know my limitations. Who is going to believe a guy sighted in a scope on a rifle using a big orange vase. I just have too many limitations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page