Floors - HW vs Lam vs Vinyl - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Floors - HW vs Lam vs Vinyl

Going to replacing some floors in the house but am struggling with which direction to go with. I like the hardwood look and have seen some impressive hardwood looking laminate and rolled vinyl flooring. Just trying to gather some additional information on pros/cons. Basically looking to replace two bedrooms, two baths and a loft area.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Floors - HW vs Lam vs Vinyl

For the bathrooms I would do the vinyl sheet if you insist on the wood look . With wood,every time you have a leak or overflow the wood will expand and contract,warp and buckle. As far as the bedrooms go with wood,nothing like the real thing and helps resale value a lot.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Laminate is easy and today many folks can't tell the difference. Personally, I don't even like the prefinished hardwood. I have installed hardwood myself the old fashioned way. It is an incredible amount of work, but looks so much better. No beveled cracks between the boards and less place for spills to get down in between the pieces when the good stuff is finished and has a few coats of poly on it.

As for the bathrooms, unless you go with an easily replaceable surface like bamboo, avoid porous materials like the plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go with hardwood (but i agree that the vinyl would be better in the bath)... Nothing beats the real stuff.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Part of the Community

I'm looking to do part of my house too. I'm leaning toward the nailed down engineered hardwood. Hardwood veneer on ply. I've seen some that doesn't have typical grooves and you get that rock hard factory finish. I'll stay with vinyl in the bathrooms though.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not a fan of laminate. Nor vinyl. Especially in a bathroom. If water gets under the edges it will lose adhesion to the subfloor and will curl. I'd do ceramic tile in a bathroom and hardwood elsewhere.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Non porous tile is nice in bathrooms..

I just did a bedroom and living room and hallway in laminate...it was easy to lay...looks nice...my question is durability but it has a 25yr gaurentee and is supposed to be tough...its tough to cut..I hit it with a dremel on high speed and didn't even scratch it lol...

And it won't need refinished etc like classic hardwood... Its easy to care for...

If you want pics or more info on laying it PM me...I'm no pro and far from what I'd call a handy man and I did fine..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Had a Pergo lifetime guarantee put in 2 years ago, within 3 months it was pulling apart at the seams and the lamination was chipping off. A claims adjuster and flooring installer from where I bought it came and looked at the floor a few months ago, said everything was installed correctly, and the laminate flooring was defective, and that they have had quite a few complaints on Pergo. The house they visited before me, they said the exact same floor was put down in November 2013 and had the same defects as mine. Pergo is giving me a whole new floor, the problem is, now I have to move all the appliances and cabinets around in the kitchen and take the base trim off to re-do it. When a person pays for top of the line flooring with a lifetime guarantee, I wasn't expecting to be ripping it all out 2 years later. I had a nice hardwood floor under the old linoleum when we tore it up, and the guy that did the installation wanted to sand and finish it, I wish I would of went that route.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM

i would stay away from any pergo, floating wood floor, click together laminate, whatever you wanna call it. Real hardwood is def the way to go if you want wood look. Vinyl flooring is good for a bathroom, not my thing but its good for wet applications. I prefer ceramic in any bathrooms or kitchens, but it cost more and more involved in the installation. Ive been installing floors for almost 15 years now, most commercial applications but ive installed almost every kind of floor.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Talking with some flooring people they are recommending an engineered hardwood for me because I heat the house with a wood pellet stove and it does dry out a good bit. The engineered should not swell/shrink like a standard hardwood would. Vinyl or ceramic for bathrooms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page