What project have you over complicated? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What project have you over complicated?

I just finished cleaning up from a classic!
One of the skid steers has been leaking hydraulic fluid for some time. Finally had enough. Took all the shields off, lifted the cab and pressure washed. Found three leaks. Fixed them and put machine all back together. Then it hit. The machine would not move nor would the boom left. I figured it was the lockout solenoid not releasing.
Took all the shields off and lifted the cab again. Checked the fuses. All look good. Got first solenoid out tested and it worked. Took second one out. It looks burnt. I figure the problem was found. Hot wire second solenoid and to my disappointment it works.
For the next two hours I trace the electric. It is only 10-12 feet long but sunk deep into a thick wire harness. I check the fuse for the third time. It still looks good. But I drop it into a bucket by error. Put a new fuse in and the lockouts engage. So after four hours and some serious hand cramps I changed the ten cent fuse.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What project have you over complicated?

At least it works!! Besides, it was ugly out the past few days and that was a good reason to stay indoors!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 AM

The worst way to check a fuse is with your eyes.A test light on both sides of a powered circuit or an ohm meter on a pulled fuse is the only way to know for sure.You could have a good fuse and poor terminal contact,fretting or corrosion at times.I have serviced my fair share of skid steers,track loaders and excavators.You need to let things dry out next time before powering up a wet(shorted)circuit.Lol.Good job on fixing it though.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 PM

Seems I overcomplicate nearly every project.
I tend to think worst case, instead of easiest fix.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Anything plumbing....

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

every one

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM

My Son and His Uncle installed A Dish sattelite system. No problem. Found the right directional setting, nothing! called Customer installation service and tried all the trouble shooting advice, nothing!! Finally gave It up for the Day. On their way out My son happened to look behind the Tv and there hung the unhooked up Cable. Screwed It onto the Tv and Bingo, perfect picture......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM

well my latest was finishing the laundry room, when started it looked like two evenings,well,add a closet, rehung part of the dry wall, finished the dry wall, dry walled the ceiling, plastered it, painted the room 4 times, 2 primers,2 finish coat, rehung the shelves, replaced a switch with a two way switch and rewired, and now I am going to replace the floor covering which I torn while tearing down the room to get started, this was started 2 weeks ago, and will be done in another part day, all projects that we do expand once we start

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 AM
The Man

Ha, everything I do myself now takes longer. I took some four months to cut lumber and prepare it for firewood.
I have some downed logs to cut up for next season and I took four times longer to do the recent tax returns. (Does anyone remember when they use to mail the tax forms to your home.)

Of course I felt better when a retired neighbor told me what the tax preparer charged him. And 80 million people I was told can't do a tax return. I started feeling better.

I'm the "landscaper" who planted the grass seed this week and the coming bug guy who becomes the home "terminix" guy shortly.
And I'm glad I don't have a cabin property to take care of. It would take too long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page