QDMA National Convention - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

QDMA National Convention

Anyone going to Athens, GA for the National Convention? 2 of us from the Susquehanna Branch will be there. Should be a lot of fun and very educational.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM
RB
Sage

Re: QDMA National Convention

Trying to talk the Mrs into it...she has some Frequent flyer miles from her Ireland trip, although we just won a trip to Cancun so we need to fit that in now.

Does look like a good convention!

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Cant go but just met the Northeast Regional Director Ryan Furrer the other night.It was a lot of fun talking with him and seems like a good guy.

A few of use started a branch here in Emporium which is a tough area to grow roots with QDMA.We tried a few years ago combining Elk,Mckean,Potter and Cameron and it didn't go far.Proud to say that we got the adopt a foodplot going in the state though.

Our branch is called Northcentral Whitetails and we are starting off with baby steps this time.We are mostly going to try working with the youth in the area and in Sept. we are bringing Charles Alsheimer to Emporium for a presentation which we hope will be a big draw.

So any help and support from fellow QDMers would be appreciated to try and get our branch off and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm gonna try like heck to make it this year. I'm getting my branch basket ready to send down now. This years convention is supposed to be REAL good being its the 25th anniversary.

Boondocker, Good luck! We also started a branch in SW PA 3 years ago and its real hard to get your feet under you. I know this for a fact. I have been to sevral banquets and seminars with Ryan and I can say the support in other areas is astounding. Don't let that deter you. Baby steps! I know theres guys here who believe its just getting everyone together. Family, work and hunting don't always have the same schedule but you can always find a few good helpers and make it go! Let me know if you ever need any help.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't be deterred. Keep plugging along and spreading the message about habitat. If you can get a solid core of guys to help then you will grow. Don't be afraid to ask other branches for advise. We're all in this for the same thing, the health of the herd and expansion of our hunting activities.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys
We are having a booth at the 2013 Elk Expo in August.We think this would be a good draw to get people involved.We are going to unofficially score antlers if theres any interest.None of us are official but a couple of us have been scoring for years.Our pres. went to the deer steward class and hes really good talking to people.

Bringing some big antlers so they act like magnets attracting people
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Shouldn't be any problem getting some big bucks from that area. I see alot of good bucks coming from there. I just completed the DS 1 online also. Maybe your area will have a good run as theres no shortage of land to work on. Seems as though the GC would be very willing to work with you guys as they do a good bit in the elk areas. Whens the expo dates? Maybe we can shoot up to my buddies camp in Benezett and check you guys out at the expo.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

The expo is running from August 17 thru the 18th.

elkexpo.com

Yes there are some monsters being killed in these parts.A few years ago there was a 205 killed here in Cameron and the same year a couple of 200 class were killed in Elk.There was a 161 inch buck was taken in Cameron last year and it came in 5th or 6th in the St. Marys big buck contest.Years ago that would have won by a landslide.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Boondocker, the PA QDMA has an antler scoring certification course. It covers deer, elk, bear and big cats. We hosted one here in 2012 thru our Branch. Tim Smales was our instructor. It's an intensive 1 day course and well worth the time.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ive seen those advertised before..Whats the cost?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page