Weird Ways to Find Shed Antlers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Weird Ways to Find Shed Antlers

https://www.qdma.com/weird-ways-to-f...ign=2019-02-14

With shed antler season already underway, many deer hunters are already working on their goal of finding a large number of sheds or locating the antlers from a particular deer. Since Iíve never been particularly successful at racking up numbers or finding sheds from shooter bucks that survived the season, I take pride in finding sheds in the most unique ways possible. Here are a couple of my craziest shed antler finds as well as a few contributed by other hunters.

All Rolled Up
A few years ago, we had a buck on our familyís farm that had a distinctive drop tine on his left antler. While I never saw him during the season, I searched for his sheds in vain. This was early in my shed-hunting career, and I had only found a couple prior to that season. As I would later find out, his shed would have been difficult to find anyway, as it was lying in a tall fescue hayfield.

In early June, I was driving around the field on the way to spray grass in a clover food plot. When I rounded the corner of the field, I happened to glance at the row of haybales along the edge of the field. Much to my surprise, I saw something unusual sticking out of the top of one of the bales. When I walked over to the bale, I realized it was a drop tine! Iím still not sure exactly how the shed was picked up by the baler without damaging the equipment, but this find ranks as one of the craziest shed stories I have ever heard.

Leaf Blower
Aside from shed dogs and (apparently) hay balers, one other tool stands out in my mind for finding shed antlers: prescribed fire. Itís not only great for improving deer habitat, but it also makes shed antlers easier to find. To my surprise, burning also provides another chance to find sheds in some instances, as Iíll explain.

To improve deer forage availability in hardwood stands with an open canopy, prescribed fire can be applied in a manner similar to how it is used in pines. In these hardwood stands, a leaf blower is an extremely effective tool for preparing firebreaks. While the odds of uncovering a shed that was dropped inside a 6-foot wide strip are low, apparently it isnít impossible, as I recently uncovered a spike that was buried in the leaf litter while clearing a firebreak with my backpack blower!

More Weird Finds
QDMA asked hunters on Twitter to share the weirdest ways they had found shed antlers. Here are some of the responses:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 AM

I witnessed how a wildfire makes finding sheds easy while in Newfoundland one season. In May of that year, a wildfire started by kids at a remote lake burned thousands of acres before it was contained. There was a moose hunting camp on the edge of the lake, and that fall, they found a couple dozen woodland caribou antlers in the burned out woods. The antlers were blackened a little, but cleaned up ok. They stood out like a sore thumb, you could spot them 50 yards out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 AM

When we had several food plots, I found several sheds in he plots as I mowed. Trick was to find them before I hit them with the blades.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
When we had several food plots, I found several sheds in he plots as I mowed. Trick was to find them before I hit them with the blades.
Or the tires. Found a couple that way. Beet juice runs right out of em.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page