A US Marine Needs Your Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

A US Marine Needs Your Help

Good day to all. After discussion with HPA Admin, I've been granted permission to post information regarding the Glenn Bowers Memorial Golf Tournament to benefit the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a 501(c)(3) qualified organization.

Glenn was a US Marine fighter pilot who flew combat missions with the famous VMF 214 Blacksheep Squadron in WWII. Glenn was also the longest serving Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

We're losing members of the "greatest generation" at an alarming rate. Glenn passed away in 2010. We will be remembering Glenn's service and honoring his life by playing a game he loved while simultaneously raising much needed money to assist combat wounded Marines returning from the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The golf tournament will be held on July 29, 2011 at the Felicita Resort near Harrisburg.

We are looking for the support of HPA members in the form of golfers, cash, silent auction items, door prizes, etc. No monetary donation is too small. Can you help?

Marines are always standing on the wall while we sleep; some never make it home. Some suffer horrific life-altering injuries. They need our help. Monetary donations can be made by credit card/pay pal account at the website we've established for the golf tournament. You can also register to golf as an individual or a foursome at the website.

For complete information on the tournament and the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, please visit our website at:

http://www.golfdigestplanner.com/17294-Glenn_Bowers/

God bless you and God bless the United States Marine Corps!
Semper Fi! (Always Faithful)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: A US Marine Needs Your Help

I wanted to share the contents of an e-mail with everyone. This was recieved recently from a representative of the Semper Fi Fund.

"I am just checking in to see how the event planning is going. Also, wanted to thank you for having this event. We have over 100 service members in our hospital right now with about 4 to 6 arriving weekly. Most have lost one or more limbs, so their needs will be ongoing. Your event will come at the perfect time."

If you can do anything, small or big, their is a wounded Marine that will be grateful. Thanks for your consideration! Semper Fi
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 PM
New Arrival

I am an above knee amputee and have been for some years. I am also a certified pier visitor with a local amputee support group (Mechanicsburg PA) If there are any Marines with any questions I will gladly help. I don't come to this site often. I can be reached at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

JimS,
Thank you for your offer of support and assistance. There are undoubtedly some Marine amputees in PA. When I served in the Marine Corps, I met a ton of other Marines from PA at every duty station I went to. PA has a big contingent of guys in all branches of the military.

On a separate note, the UPS man brought me a box today that was loaded with fishing lures to use in our golf tournament as door prizes,etc. The note inside simply said, "good luck with your golf tournament, hunting pa.com." That was a pleasant surprise! There was a name on the outside of the box, but I don't know if the party responsible wants to be publicized, so suffice it to say... You know who you are and we appreciate your donation very much. Semper Fi
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Donation sent..... Would love to golf in this tournament, but will be away on business!

Semper Fi!

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

ToothHunter,

Donation received. Thank you very much! I wish you were available to play in the tournament as well. We could use a few more foursomes to round out the field. If you have any local friends that like to golf, pass the word.

I also worked in Marine aviation. I worked at H&MS 13 avionics, (MCAS El Toro) attached to VMA 211 the Wake Island Avengers working on Tacan, Iff, survival radios, etc. I know I'm getting old, El Toro is closed and the Avengers aren't flying A-4 Skyhawks anymore! The Blue Angels aren't flying them anymore either...

Semper Fi and thanks for the donation to the cause!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Teufel Hunden,

It's an honor to help these Marines! I spent a short amount of time around El Toro, MCAS Tustin for 9 months. I have a great friend of mine that worked on A-4's as well! His last stint with them was at NAS Willow Grove, his name is Chip Nilsen.

I'll spread the word on this tounament! I wish I could play too.... maybe next year!

Semper Fi...

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Part of the Community

As I am a disabled Marine I felt compelled to help out and I just signed up a foursome to play in the tournament.

Thanks to you and everyone that is supporting this event and these Marines.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

ebitt24,

We're so glad to have your foursome for the tournament! I received your payment via paypal and am looking forward to meeting you at the event. I knew there were some folks on huntingpa that would come through for us... I sent you an email, but just to cover the bases, please send me the golf shirt sizes for all the guys in your foursome. Since you paid by June 30, each player will get a free golf shirt that will have the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund embroidered on the sleeve.
We're going to have some great silent auction items to bid on too. Should be a great day and I hope we can help a few Marines in the process. Semper Fi
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Just a quick update... Registrations are still rolling in but we still have room for 2 or 3 foursomes and donations are always welcome! With almost a month to go to our July 29th event, I'm convinced we are going to have a full field of golfers and a great day.

Remember our troops as we celebrate this independence day weekend.

Semper fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page