What did I do wrong? (Dented case while resizing) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What did I do wrong? (Dented case while resizing)

Ok, so I've finally got everything set up on my bench and I got my powder dispenser set to throw consistent charges just a hair less than 49 grs (so I can trickle in the rest).

Last night I had a few minutes so I thought I'd go ahead and re-size and de-primer the box of brass I have laying around. I'd already adjusted the die (or so I thought) so I took a case, used some of the spray lubricant I had and coated it and then ran it through the press. It seemed like it went ok but I also had a case lube pad and some lubricant for it that I wanted to try so I applied some lube to the pad, rolled the case in it and ran it through the press. This one went fairly easily as well. I grabbed a 3rd case, used the lube pad and when I ran it through the press it nearly got stuck! In fact, when I was trying to lower the case it ripped the depriming pin loose from the locking "bolt" that holds it in place! Apparently I didn't have that locked down tight enough.

I thought I'd ruined the pin but after disassembling the die, I think it will be ok. I re-assembled the die (the depriming pin and re-sizing part of it were still stuck in the case), and cranked down the locking bolt that holds the pin in place and was able to remove it from the case.

After removing the case I looked at it and there was a pair of dents in the shoulder of the case. Upon looking at the other 2 cases I ran through, there were small dents in both of them as well. I'm pretty sure these 3 pieces of brass are junk now. Correct?

I was frustrated at this point so I gave up for the night and figured I'd get on here to see what I did wrong. Obviously I need to re-configure the die per the instructions, especially since I ripped it apart and just threw it back together enough to pull the case off the de-priming pin.

I did a little reading and it sounds like I had too much lubricant on the case? Does that sound right? Do I need to clean the inside of the die now before trying again? Should I clean it with something like rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner now?

Anything else? I'm completely new to this so I'm not sure what's causing the dents.

Thanks for the help guys!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Re: What did I do wrong? (Dented case while resizing)

Too much lube will dent the cases, I've done it in the past. I would clean the die before using it again. If you are using a spray lube, there is not need to lube with anything else. I now only use Hornady's One Shot spray lube for all of my resizing. It's easy to use and doesn't make a mess. Just make sure you spray them outside. Wish I would have started using it earlier. You just clean your resizing die, spray lube in it then spray your cases and your good to go. I even use it to form 338 Federal brass from 308 and no effort is needed.

If the dents are not real bad, they can be used and will disappear when you fire the round. I would not use them for real hot loads because, technically, they are decreasing the case capacity and may cause excessive pressure (just and assumption). I would not use them for target or hunting rounds but I've used several "dented" cases in plinking rounds for my AR15

From the sound of it, I assume you are using Lee dies since you said you you pulled decapping pin from the "locking bolt." I used white mica for a while when forming brass and it would build up in the die and I would do the same thing no matter how tight I made the bolt on my Lee dies. I would have to take them apart and clean them.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Too much lube will dent the cas,e more than likely the cause and also clean out you die with some rubbing alcohol, you may have a build-up of case lube in there that's causing the problem..back-out the de-priming pin and really clean the die..there will be alot of dirt in there if you've used it for years..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

It's a brand new Hornady die set and the only build up is from those 3 cases. It's never been used before as I've never tried re-loading before.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

Still too much lube then, you rookies always make that mistake...ever so lighty, whipe it off gently and there will still be enough..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use them. Dents will not hurt a thing.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Regular Visitor

As mentioned, too much lube. I spray my rifle brass in a tupperware, 40-60 pieces, 2 pumps then I shake them all around. After about 1-2 minutes it starts to evaporate and I start re-sizing. It only takes a little, because you leave a little behind in the die each time too. Make sure you clean out the dies when you finish, so it doesn't build up.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM

I bought a RCBS pad and tube of lube in the mid-1970's...I'm still using the same pad and same tube of llube 35 years later and 10'000's of reloaded shells..a tube may last a life time, just close the top when your done and light roll the case over the pad...35 years is a long time but lube will last apparently at least that long, and how many shells have I had stick in a full length sizing die in all that time..NONE..end of story..
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Does anyone else use a graphite pencil around the inside of the necks?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Another trick is to wipe the necks of the cases with your fingers before you put it in the sizing die!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page