What bullet is this? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What bullet is this?

What kind of bullet is this? I acquired 48 handloaded rounds of these loaded up for a .300 wsm. It says on the box they are 150 grains. Would they be ok for deer and/or bear?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
The Man

Re: What bullet is this?

nosler ballistic tips.......yes

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Definitely Nosler ballistic tips.

I've used them for deer and they worked fine.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree that they are Nosler Ballistic Tips. I am of the opinion that it is never a good idea to shoot someone else's handloads. It's just not worth it. You can never be sure of how someone else loaded the ammo. What if they slipped up and filled one of cartridges with pistol powder?

Something that dangerous is unlikely to happen, but why take the risk? Pull the bullets, pop the primers, and fertilize the lawn with the powder. The cases and bullets are the only things you can be sure about.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVERT
I agree that they are Nosler Ballistic Tips. I am of the opinion that it is never a good idea to shoot someone else's handloads. It's just not worth it. You can never be sure of how someone else loaded the ammo. What if they slipped up and filled one of cartridges with pistol powder?

Something that dangerous is unlikely to happen, but why take the risk? Pull the bullets, pop the primers, and fertilize the lawn with the powder. The cases and bullets are the only things you can be sure about.
I agree. I will pull them, but was wondering if I'd be better off loading them back up, or switching them out for a different bullet like a Nosler partition or accubond?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
The Man

I am certain that a 150 BT will kill a bear. But it wouldn't be my first choice. If you shot a bear up close with that 150 out of a magnum, you will have shrapnel city, which may or may not be ok. If you want the bt'S for bear, I'd jump up to a 180 anyhow.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

I would never use a 150 grain BT out of a .300 magnum for bear. A heavier BT yes, but not a 150 BT.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM
The Man

If you acquired some elses handloads and going to try in your gun would be a big no no. The case might of been not sized enough for your chamber causing the first problem. I would not trust someone else load that i didnt know real well as say what powder and how much is in it would be un known.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
If you acquired some elses handloads and going to try in your gun would be a big no no. The case might of been not sized enough for your chamber causing the first problem. I would not trust someone else load that i didnt know real well as say what powder and how much is in it would be un known.
My uncle is pulling the bullets and working up a couple different loads for me to try in the brass.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

7 on that, i'd be looking at a 200 grainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
I would never use a 150 grain BT out of a .300 magnum for bear. A heavier BT yes, but not a 150 BT.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page