Wad Cutters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Today is Born2Hunt's birthday!
Wad Cutters

What do you reload for 38 wad cutter bullets? I have been using 148 gr. DRWC #10308 Hornady.
Any other good options...where do I get them how much...any other tips regarding wad cutters?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Re: Wad Cutters

I have tons of 158gr. semi-wad cutters I use for playing. I usually load them over a few grains of bullseye or unique. Makes for nice shooting.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by REdgar7mm
I have tons of 158gr. semi-wad cutters I use for playing. I usually load them over a few grains of bullseye or unique. Makes for nice shooting.
Same here. I have a couple hundred loaded with Bullseye right now, but switched to Unique as the Bullseye is just too dirty. My guns and hands are black after several rounds.

The semi wad cutter I use are from LEE, and are designed to be shot as cast. They shoot pretty good for the most part. I shot a bunch at the range the other day, and they punch perfectly round holes in the target.

I never shot any true was cutters.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I would like to buy a few hundred of 148 or 158gr. Where is a good source to purchase from? The reloading catalogs I am receiving in the mail are not selling wad cutters.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
The Man

www.midwayusa.com They have a bunch of different brands. Can try Cabelas or bass pro as well.

You can buy a mold with the bare minimum of accessories, and cast your own for the cost of a few hundred store bought bullets. It's not very hard to do at all. Back in the day my Dad cast his own muzzleloader [email protected] with a ladle he picked up over the fire of a coleman stove.

My mould cost less than 20 bucks. No sizing die required. I lube with LEE alox, and I can lube hundreds of bullets for less than 5 bucks.

I don't do anything in casting that costs a whole lot. That is the point of it to me. All told I have less than $30 in casting equipment. I do use my Dads melt pot he casts jig heads with, but in my defence I did buy it for him for Christmas long before I started to use it.

I have litterally hundreds of rounds that cost me litle more than primers. I picked up a 1000 rounds of brass off a member here for 40 some dollars. They can be used many times. I only use about 5 grains of powder that cost $18 dollars, and there are 7000 grains in a pound. When I started to load 38's I broke down, and spent $18 for a LEE powder dropper. That thing works great.

I did get lucky with lead. A friend had some Linotype he didn't need, and gave me a 23 pound bar. I'm down to about 5 pounds, but I know where I can get more. You can always use wheel weights. Many garages will either give them to you or sell you a 5 gallon bucket of them cheap.

If you weren't so far away I would help you out.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
The Man

Using wadcutters and Unique for years. My mentor used them and saw no reason to change.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Don't find anything at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Midway limited choice. Still looking.

I have the dies but no melting pot or source of lead yet....maybe the way to go have about 2000+ brass to reload.

Some bullets are listed as 358 in lieu of 357 or 38 why is that???

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
The Man

Cast bullets tend be cast .001 larger than a jacketed bullet.

You can use a coffe can on the stove to melt lead. Just don't let you wife find out.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I am afraid we have an electric range. But I will find a way to melt the lead once I find a lead supply.

Thanks of all your help.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 PM

I shoot NRA bullseye and I load my wadcutters with solo 1000. in that sport you want low recoil, velocity though.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page