need help in SE Pa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

need help in SE Pa

Hello,

I am looking for a little help with some reloading. I purchased a gun and had some ammo included that are reloads. The question/problem I have is that if you shake a shell you can hear the powder moving around so I am questioning if the shells are loaded correctly or not. I have never been able to hear that before.

Also I am looking to see if someone would pull the bullets and reload them. I have dies that were included with everything but not into reloading.

Any recomendations would be great if you could pm that would be great.

I just don't want to shoot the gun and have something happen.

If its normal then I don't have a problem, just never experienced it before. The caliber is 338 lapua.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: need help in SE Pa

To answer your question yes some reloaded ammo you can hear the powder when you shake the round, this all has to do with the powder used and load. However I would never shoot someone elseís reloads. If you can find someone too pull the bullets, you will still have two un-known components, the powder and primers. The primers could be used in reduced loads. But the powder I would dump on the lawn. Not bad fertilizer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM

My guess, and only a guess the .338 Lupua can hold some big charges of slow burnin powder.70-90grs. Some loads you can hear and feel the powder charge. When you bought the rifle didn't the guy tell you what the ammo is? With myself I always mark the box with bullet wt.and powder charge, col, and muz. vel. Best thing you did so far was to ask the question. I'm sure the factory .338 Lapua ammo is pricie but best to know what your shootin JMO....later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

when it was sent the guy was to include it but did not do so, I am awaiting a reply from him.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

78.2 gr IMR4350 and 300 SMK

Load data
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

As I said above I donít shoot someone elseís reloads , I donít reload for the 338 , the guy that reloaded them my be a very competent reloader. Or maybe not so much. He could have been distracted while reloading them. Are you willing to take the chance his memory was correct on the powder used. At any given time I have 6 different powders on the back of my bench, all components used are checked and double checked and then the rounds in that box are labeled with all information. My first clue in not trusting these rounds is the box was not labeled with information. Old saying only trust those who have as much too loose as you do. How many oh I am sorry I screwed up and you lost an eye or blew up a rifle would be sufficient. But then again you may shoot them with no problems and good results. Youíre the one throwing the dice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page