advice on getting started reloading - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

advice on getting started reloading

i have been meaning to get into reloading and now that my boys are shooting me out of house and home, i think i will be doing it within the next few months. i am thinking of reloading for these cals. i have lots of once fired brass for all:

35 rem
358 win
35 whelen
7mm-08
45-70
30/06
30/30
30 rem
32 rem

i have a few questions.

1 - do you recommend buying a kit like the rcbs rockchucker? if so, what other "stuff"? digital scale? micrometer?, shell cleaner? ?

2 - not counting the price of the equipment, is it really a cost savings these days to reload or is it more of a control thing? especially with the cheaper cals like 30/30 and 30/06. for instance, what is the cost to load a box of 30/06 with a decent load if you already have the once-fired brass?

thanks

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Re: advice on getting started reloading

Yes it's cheaper. For the rounds you listed you'ed go broke. Pick out the most shooter and start there. Many dies used for sale, guys sell guns and end up with dies they don't want anymore. A gunshop I go to always has used dies. Rcbs dies are as good as they get for most. I just bought Hornady dies and like them well. When gettin equiped watch for some are much better then others. Redding IMO make the best powder measure and press's Rcbs or Lee is fine IMO. If I was just startin I'ed go with the new'er scales dig. ones There is some good stuff on U-Tube to get you on right track, I had a guy I watched load for a good while and then jumped in with his help when I got over my head, you'll love it I'm sure and the kids catch on fast. Good Luck have FUN....later
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Get yourself a RCBS kit, It's the best thing going. Personally I would stick with a beam scale, The RCBS scale is made by Ohaus it is one of the best on the market. Digital scales seem to drift unless you plan on spending a lot of money. The kit comes with everything you need to get started, someday you'll want to add a few things or upgrade to a 10-10 scale. The Sierra reloading manual has a lot to offer, read it, then read it again, and maybe one more time. It really is a great manual.

I wouldn't buy a tumbler, the ultrasonic cleaner does a much nicer job. If yu want a tumbler let me know, I'll make you a good deal on one. read this article on ultrasonic cleaners http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html it is very informative.

The only other thing you might try and do is be-friend someone that reloads and knows what he is doing, spend some time watching and asking a lot of questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
The Man

You'll also need a vernier caliper...befriending a veteran handloader is great advice....

Buy Redding dies after you get started with the Rockchucker kit.....

Have fun!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think the kit comes with the vernier caliper, well it did when I bought mine 20 some years ago. I forgot to mention Redding dies, I like them much better also
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 PM

W Bob, man I was goin to buy a set for my Cmoor and thought WOW price ie. As I mentioned bought Hornady first time. Very nice die set very well made, and good price. The seater bullet die has the bushing. I was or am impressed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

check around some of your local mom & pop shops. many of the owners or employees reload. they will help you spend wisely as they want your business. ps don't just pick their brains but buy something. nothing like running out of powder and having a local source even at a few bucks more.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Part of the Community

Redding equipment is 100% made in the USA
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 PM
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Try to buy powders that are somewhat universal, like IMR 4064 and 4350. I also noticed that you have a few in the same brass families:

358 win&7mm-08

35 whelen&30/06
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Part of the Community

Grices gun shop had a great reloader guy helped me out alot when ingot started! Not sure where your from but they are in clearfield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page