hunting vs accucery ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

hunting vs accucery ?

new to reloading and see this on some of the reloading manuals. Same bullet but different powders and weights. The FPS isn't that different. Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: hunting vs accucery ?

The manuals are showing the different powders/charges that work in a particular cartridge. Different powders have different burn rates. There are many variables that are factored into usable powders in different cartridges. Burn rate, pressure levels, case capacity, bullet weights ect ect ect. A powder that gives the best accuracy/velocity out of one gun might not be the best powder out of another.

Good luck, Tony
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47studebaker
The FPS isn't that different. Why?
I assume you're talking about the Sierra data. May not be large in many cases but there is some difference in fps. You will find the accuracy load is slower, if the highest velocity for a particular bullet is also the most accurate then they will only list it as a hunting load, no accuracy load listed. From the Sierra site:

Quote:
Pure accuracy without regard for energy and trajectory is not viable in the game fields. Our hunting loads are a combination of high velocity for flat trajectory and high striking energy with acceptable hunting accuracy
Also concerning their listed accuracy loads:

Quote:
These are loads that have a proven history of working well in many rifles. They generally provide a high level of accuracy in many different barrels, not just our test barrel.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Tundra is correct. Remeber, reloading guides provide data, but the fun of reloading is making a round that does want you want for your application. You find a load that gives great accuracy, and another that is less accurate but is 200fps faster (I am assuming they are both safe loads). What is more important for you?
I have found with most of the new premium bullets (Accubonds, Triple Shocls, etc), my best accuracy has come with max loads.

Will
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 PM
The Man

If in the woods the difference is meaningless. If I was shooting long range I wold want the most accurate. A coulpe hundred FPS can be delt with. Poor acuracy can not.

In the manuals is gives data based on there findings. Your gun may be different. I would load a couple different loads, and see what shoots best.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
The Man

After you have reloaded and tested for some time you will realize the manual is pretty well a reference. Most manuals will show what gun they used to test with. Say you have a model 70 winchester 22" barrel in a 270. There test rifle could of been rem. 700 in a 26" barrel so it would be hard to duplicate everything perfect. Also keep in mind liability they can not afford to be sued for giving a super hot load. It irks me to see velocity advertised that is inaccurate the only way you can find vel. is shoot your gun thru a chronograph and you will know your velocity. I have been loading for 25 years + and will give you my advise. Find your own load use the book for a reference load 4 up in different grain incriments, if the book says 46.0 grains for max i would start at 44, 45 , 46, 47. Most of the time guns will find there magic number when there close to being hot then they will go backwards in accuracy. If you did what i said and 46 grains was your most accurate i would stick with it. It would be nice to have a chronograph than you can tell your actual velocity. But unless your doing long range shooting and need a drop chart knowing your vel. really doesent rally matter except for bragging rights. Also very important get your self a notebook or you can get fancy and buy one from Sinclair and log everything you shoot good or bad. Date, caliber, bullet, primer, powder, charge, vel., temp., and wind this is such a great reference to return to. Believe it or not you will get old and forget some of those pet loads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page