Berger Bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Berger Bullets

I bought a few boxes last year, and thought I'd give them a whirl. As a reloader, experimenting is 90% of the fun. I bought the 130 grn VLD's for my 6.5 X 284 and 52 grn. match for my 220 Swift and 22-250. The 22-250 shot sub 1/2 in. groups with 33.5 grns of 4064 the Swift shot sub 1/2 in groups with 40 grns of H-380. Both where devastating on ground hogs. I shot 2 coyotes with the swift, they are pelt destroyers. The 6.5 seem to like any slow burning powder, I settled on H-4831 51.5 grns out of my Savage there running just over 3000 fps and where sub MOA, The real test was the last day of the season I shot a large doe at 200 yds and planted her in here tracks with a shoulder shot. the lungs and heart looked like they where shot with a shotgun, exit hole about the size of a base ball. These bullets seem to be at there best when seated 20 thousand'ts from the rifling, I noticed a distinct difference by keeping them back like that. I give them an A+, I still love my Sierra's But its fun to experiment....Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Berger Bullets

When seating 20 thousandths off,is the OAL still short enough so they they fit in the magazine? They look like long bullets from the nose to the ogive and I always wondered about seating them out far and still fitting in short action magazines.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My savages are long actions they fit with lots of room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes! I have a 112FV in 22-250 and I can seat the bullets out as far as I'd like. The Savage Rifles are excellent for that.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
The Man

I always wondered about the bergers how they acyually performed on game in a hunting situation. I know as far as punching paper they cant be beat. Was kind of sckeptial of the hard jacket. Had a friend this year kill a buck with his 30 using the 210 grain at 400 plus yards. Said bullet exited but did severe damage. Also his wife took one out of a 6x284 using the 95 grainer at 350 yards. Of all things she hit it in the head ripping the skull to pieces.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 PM

The Berger VLD Hunting bullets open very well. From what I've used in the 6mm & 6.5mm's I'd have no qualms about using them for deer.

WMU 3A
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
The Man

Im in to lr shooting and had my 6x284 with me one day and my favorite bullet out of it is the sierra 85 bthp. Shooting it at 1k yards was a laugh was not even close to being consistant. I couldnt get the drop chart to work, light wind would move up to 13'. My shooting buddy had the same gun with the berger 95 hunting vld. Dialed in and worked, we had a gong at 1100 hit it on second try i sat down and did the same. Thst was a good tet on comparing bullet quality.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
The Man

The Berger VLD is a devestating bullet on game. I have used them on both my Mule Deer and my Antelope in Wyoming this year. Both animal were hit in the boiler room and both animals didn't take another step. The bullets completely liquified the insides of both animals and did exactly as advertised. My only reservation would be for tougher animals. I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable with shooting a larger black bear with them. I think that it would be okay with a completely broadside shot, but for anything other than that I would be scared to think about using them. So for me the jury is still out until I get some more experience. Good luck to all those that are using them and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mac
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
The Man

Thats a very fair statement of the jury being out. I think you need to kill around 4-5 deer, etc. before you make a good or bad opinion on a bullet. I have afriend in another state that was involved in crop damage shootings. Think there would be some good information.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 PM

I believe those long range shooters on "Best of the west" advocate and use berger bullets only. They shoot all manner of game, elk, bears,etc. If that's any indication of berger performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page