Brass getting stuck in reloading dies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Brass getting stuck in reloading dies

Any ever experience brass getting stuck in your depriming / expanding reloading dies? I've had it happen in both my RCBS 22-250 dies and my Lyman 30-06 dies. I don't believe that I'm using either too much or too little case lube/ It has happened it both once fired brass (22-250) and older brass (30-06, this brass is from the Korean war and I know I haven't trimmed the cases down but they only get reloaded once every 5 or so years since I don't get too shoot to much.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Re: Brass getting stuck in reloading dies

Rust in the dies,maybe dirt???? What case lube are you using?
Also,there is a vent hole on most dies,it maybe clogged.

WILLY P
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

could be the lube your are using too. some folks swear that One Shot CAUSES stuck cases while other say it's the cat's meow. I use RCBS lube on a paper towel and have not had a stuck case yet. DO make sure you check the gas check hole though, if it's clogged it will cause this too like WillyP said

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM

What type of lube? Have seen Oneshot stick once and a great while. Have switched to imperial and unique since and have had no problems.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

thanks guys will check vent holes etc... as for lube its the stuff they sent with RCBS rockchucker package (just cant remember the name of it right now)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i use the hornady one shot. please follow intructions and let it dry. plus if you feel alot of resistence do not force. use standby imperial sizing wax. haven't stuck one yet. .223,.308, .30-06. seldom resize less than 500 at a time using this method.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For over 20 years I have been using the RCBS lube pad that came with my RC package deal. The only time I've ever had an issue in all that time (maybe 5-6x) was when I didn't use enough lube on the pad.

Steve
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

On new dies I always take the dies apart and clean with some gun scrubber and rubbing alcohol. After I make sure they are dry on the inside I take a q-tip and spray some Hornady One-Shot on it and lightly swirl it around the inside of the die body. Then I re-assemble. I clean them like that once a year afterwards. Grit, hair, lube and God-knows-what builds up in them over time and they need to be cleaned. Lube and gunk will build up in the vent hole too.
I use One-Shot exclusively and like has been said already shake it well, spray on and give a minute or two to dry. It flows around the brass and leaves a slick coating behind that is much slicker than when the spray is still wet.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Part of the Community

hmmm i use lee case lube that came with my reloading kit. i had a stuck case....i didnt use enough lube..... when i reloaded before i reloaded like 50 of 3 diff calibers at once...i HATED lubing the cases it took me FOREVER....soo i bought collet neck sizing dies. as they are all for 1 rifle...noo more lube

2C/2E
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-192
hmmm i use lee case lube that came with my reloading kit. i had a stuck case....i didnt use enough lube..... when i reloaded before i reloaded like 50 of 3 diff calibers at once...i HATED lubing the cases it took me FOREVER....soo i bought collet neck sizing dies. as they are all for 1 rifle...noo more lube
Collett dies and neck sizing is good when you can get away with it but for pumps,autos and lever rifles neck sizing doesn't work. They don't have the camming action like a bolt to eject the cartridge. For hunting ammo I always full length resize.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page