Lets Talk Bullet Selection - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Lets Talk Bullet Selection

I am starting into reloading.

On bullet selection for any particular caliber, what's the criteria? There seems to be nearly unlimited variations of all rounds in any weight and type.

The basic one are easy. Hollow point v solid. Grain selection is a given. All the various tips and contours of bullets.

I am looking for consistent hunting rounds in several calibers. Names don't mean much to me, consistency does. I am not looking for a competition round, but a proven hard hitting round.

Thus the issue. All major brands have a history of producing that.

What is the criteria you guys use?

Local availability?

Price?

Name?

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Re: Lets Talk Bullet Selection

A for instance:

Sierra Pro Hunter compared to a Speer of similar construction over a Rem Core Lokt.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 AM

For me, when I figure out what style of bullet I want, it then boils down to trial and error for the rifle. I've found that most bullets will shoot "hunting accurate" out of most rifles when you find and tweek the powder and charge weight. Some bullets simply won't shoot in some rifles Barnes TSX and my .223 go togther like oil and water, after alot of wasted components and range time, I gave up on them.

Local avalibilty means nothing to me as far as bullets, I order alot from Midway, wait long enough, it will be on sale, then I stock up. The only things I don't order are primers and powder(too much for hazmat). I shoot alot of cast, and they can be tricky to find locally. I do try to find a popular bullet first so there is a chance of buying locally if someone has a sale.

My shelves aren't reserved for any brand, I have speer, hornady, nosler, barnes, laser cast, remington, hunters supply, berry's plated, ect. I've had alot of great results with hornady, but I'm not going to run XTP's for plinking, thats where cast comes in, and finding a good .427 hunting bullet is scarce.

If you want to know about a particular bullet, check out the reviews on Midway, there is usually 25 or so for each one, some give excellent reviews complete with penetration/performance test results.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good post, I usually try some of the major brands especially Hornady, Sierra and the old standby CoreLoks. I have never had a filure with any of these for deer and 1 bear.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Bullets get a lot of hype but realistically here in Pa, most shots are less than 100 yards. I have for years taken many Deer with the cheap Hornady bullets, they perform very well at this range and above. If out west where shots are 300 to 400 yards I would say yes opt for the more expensive brands. White tail and even Black Bear go down pretty quick with a suitable grain and caliber bullet if loaded properly. I have seen guys blame bullets for poor shot placement or bad reloading practices, If you get the seating depth, load, FPS and bullet to barrel twist right. Most modern bullets will perform well.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Sage

For the 30-06, hard to beat Speer's 150gr or 165gr Hot-Cor bullets. Inexpensive, accurate and reliable in that diameter and cartridge. That was my "go to" bullet in '06 for many years and I still shoot some 150s occasionally.

Speer may have replaced that particular line with their new Deep Curl bullets, but there should still be lots of Hot Cors on the shelves?

My 30-06 load for the past 30+ years, has been 57grs of IMR 4350, R-P cases; CCI 200 primers and the 150gr Hot-Cor. Cousin killed heaps of deer with that load over the years and I've taken at least a half dozen with it.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

If I want accuracy right off the bat without having to fiddle around with different bullets and loads I go with Nosler. I have yet to find a rifle that doesn't group it's best or close to it's best with a Nosler Ballistic tip. They are just flat out accurate.

But if you want a bullet for Bear you may want a Nosler Accubond instead of a Ballistic Tip.

Also Nosler BT's are under $20 for 50 so they don't break the bank.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to archer1214

I've always had very good results from all my rifles with Sierra Game Kings. The only other bullet I load is for my daughter's .223 for deer is 60 gr Nosler Partitions,altough it has suddenly taken a liking to Hornady 40gr Bal tips for whistle pigs

In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is king

NRA member
NAHC Life Member

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage

I love BTips personally, but they are expensive in big game choices, which is why I suggested the Speers for .308 diameters.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
The Man

I haven't found a gun that doesn't like BT's either. I almost always hunt with Sierra games kings though. They perform about the same, and you get twice as many in a box for the same price as BT's.

My grandfather was always a huge Hornady fan. He tended to load them in every rifle he shot. He never had any problems of any kind with them.

Heck, my uncle used a 162 gr Hornady in his 7mm rem mag to take down a bull moose in VT. No fancy bullet. Just the run of the mill interloc.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page