Stuff is on the way! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Stuff is on the way!

Gentlemen,
I ordered a lee press kit, micrometer, dies, winchester brass, and a caliber specific reloading manual for my .270. I am really excited about reloading. We have 3 270s in my family ( my two younger sons - 12 and soon to be 15 and myself ). We are shooting 2 Savage 111's and 1 Marlin XL7. I do not have a lot of money to invest 3 different powders, 3 different bullets, primers etc. I am going to try to work up a load that our guns will be able to shoot effectively ( not tournament shooting... just effectively ). Is there a "basic" load for PA deer - I do not have many shots over 150 yards - that you would try first to meet our needs? I was thinking Sierra Pro Hunter 130 grain bullets with H4831sc powder - how many grains? I don't have my book yet, with CCI 200LR primers. Thanks for your help. Any knowledge to pass on would be helpful. I already read the posts about .270 loads in this forum which were helpful. Triple B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Stuff is on the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B
I was thinking Sierra Pro Hunter 130 grain bullets with H4831sc powder - how many grains? I don't have my book yet, with CCI 200LR primers. Triple B
Good choices. Start with 56.5 - 57 grains and work up from there.

Bill

This might help a little Hodgon Reloading Data Center
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
The Man

The old standard is / was 60 gr. of old H4831. I use 58 to 60 gr. based on the make, weight and style of the bullet.

This was Jack O'Connor's favorite load and it shoots good out of any 270 I loaded for.

BTW I have never used 4831sc and do not know how it performs to H4831.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
BTW I have never used 4831sc and do not know how it performs to H4831.
The same except maybe lot to lot differences. The advantage, it takes up less room in the cartridge. Where a charge of 4831 may fill the case up to or into the neck the SC will only fill it to the bottom or mid shoulder at the same charge weight.

Bill
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've been getting very good results with RL-22 in the .270.

The short cut 4831 should also meter better through a powder measure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use H-4831 and RL-22. Both are great powders. I give the edge to H-4831 if you do any shooting in the summer. I believe it is less temperature sensitive than RL-22. However I have received about 100 fps more velocity from the RL-22.

H-4831 will work for what you want to do. If you are loading for 3 rifles then I would strongly consider you buy an 8# jug of powder. It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do. And an 8# cannister will last a long time, and at a substantial discount. You are going to get about 110 shells or so out of a pound. So you will burn that first pound or two up real fast. Making an 8# cannister even more cost effective.

Your bullet choice is also spot on. There is not doubt in my mind you can achieve your goal with your bullet and powder choice. Have fun with it.

As far as the SC is concerned. Well I honestly don't know. I only use the standard H-4831 and I have a bunch of it on the shelf. I honestly have never had any problem with the powder in my powder measures. But like you I am not a volume loader of that cartridge.

I would buy whichever I could get the best deal on an 8# cannister. And don't worry about storing the powder. The powder is not an explosive. And is easy to store. Tom.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. The goods should arrive tomorrow. Based on your thoughts I am leaning towards the H4831. I'll let you know how I do. Again thank you and take care and good luck hunting. Triple B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page