Help please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Help please

I am reloading .300WSM with H380 propellant and 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The max coal for this cartridge is "2.860.

1.) Using a Hornady OAL gauge I measured the distance to the lands and wanted to seat the head "0.05 off lands. This puts my coal at "2.872, is it ok to seat the bullet to that depth since I have used a OAL gauge on my rifle and know that at that length I am in fact "0.05 off the lands or do I have to stick with the "2.860 listed in the manuals?

2.) What is the relevance of the order of the powders listed in reloading manuals? I don't understand why some powders seem to hover towards the bottom or visa versa. Is is because of the burn rate?

3.) Someone recommended using 2400 propellant to reload my .357 magnum. I purchased CCI 550 primers and found out in a manual I am unable to use them with the 2400 since they are magnum primers. Why is this?

Thank you very much for your help and time!

WOOD - a renewable resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 AM

Re: Help please

I can't answer 1 or 2, but as far as not being able to use magnum primers with 2400, the Lyman 49th edition page 357(oddly enough) states using CCI 550 primers, and lists using 2400 in 11 out of 14 loads. In fact, it's listed as the "most accurate" in 5 of them.

Quote from the book:

"For light loads Bullseye works best. Heavy loads work well with a wide range of powders but you might want to try 2400 for your first accuracy tests."

I only have the Lyman in front of me at the moment to referance.

I highly reccomend adding the lyman manual to any reloading library, it's not brand specific as far as components, but as usual, its better to have a few different manuals on hand, even editors make mistakes.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 AM

I've dug a bit further into your first 2 questions, and I still can't answer them completly, I can add a little information for you.

Once again, in the Lyman manual, it lists a 165 gr. jacketed ballistic tip as having an OAL of 2.850" for the 300 WSM(just some more differences between manuals). Also, if you do seat them out further, you'll have to make sure they'll cycle properly.

Lyman lists their powder reccomendations from slowest to fastest in thier data.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM
The Man

The OAL question is actually quite simple. The recommendation is so they will function properly in all rifles. You can seat them further out if they will reliable feed and fit in the magazine.

The 357 question... I just loaded some up with 2400 and mag primers. I took them to the range on Sunday, and they shot quite well in my GP100.

While reading some reviews online for powder I noticed that some claim not to use mag primers with hot loads of 2400. I take those with a grain of salt. I don't know who wrote that. I would trust a respected reloading manual first.

For reference my Lyman 47th edition lists (going off memory) 14.7 gr of 2400 as max. The Nosler shows 12.9 as max, but with a Nosler bullet. I got on Alliant's website, and they list 14.3 gr. All primers we small mag pistol.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

many reasons why maximum loads very from manual to manual. 1. the measurement methods/devices vary. 2. powder lots vary. 3. the companies own internal "safety standards" may not be saami spec. ie some liability lawyers are more "macho" than others. the imr/hodgen/winchester group are usually higher with hornady being more conservative. 4. reloading manuals also consider that in some calibers there are firearms still out there that were marginally safe (trapdoor springfield for example) when manufactured and are still being used. see #3 5. some "know-it-all" assumes a safety margin is built in, so one is included for protection . see # 3
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Ok,
I have checked and the rounds at that length and they were cycling fine in my rifle.

About the 2400 and mag primers, I read that in my Speer manual. It actually specifically says not to use CCI 550 mag primers with 2400 because it will produce high pressure

WOOD - a renewable resource
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 PM
The Man

The manual is only for refernce. Now i have been loading for 25 years and mainly only use it for oal for case trimming purpose. In the lands or just off you can get pressure but it is something you will have to experminte with. Every gun is different and there like kids you have to feed them what they want to eat. 2 of the same model of guns of same caliber might not shoot the same load. Seating deph alot of mine is 20.000 off. I had one of my guns last week a 25/284 that i normally shot a sierra 100 grain bt using 58 grains of Imr 4831. I tried the swift scorrio 100 grainer glad i backed off 2 grains because load was to hot. I settled in at 54 grains 4831 4 grains less than the sierra and still a 100 grain 25 caliber bullet. Part of the fun of reloading you have to play.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyghost243
I am reloading .300WSM with H380 propellant and 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The max coal for this cartridge is "2.860.

1.) Using a Hornady OAL gauge I measured the distance to the lands and wanted to seat the head "0.05 off lands. This puts my coal at "2.872, is it ok to seat the bullet to that depth since I have used a OAL gauge on my rifle and know that at that length I am in fact "0.05 off the lands or do I have to stick with the "2.860 listed in the manuals?

(No) The deeper the bullet is seat the more the pressure you will experince. Although you can experience higher pressure with the bullet in the lands.

2.) What is the relevance of the order of the powders listed in reloading manuals? I don't understand why some powders seem to hover towards the bottom or visa versa. Is is because of the burn rate?

(Yes)

3.) Someone recommended using 2400 propellant to reload my .357 magnum. I purchased CCI 550 primers and found out in a manual I am unable to use them with the 2400 since they are magnum primers. Why is this?

(you can use magnum primers) It's only because they didn't use them to test with.

Thank you very much for your help and time!

do the homework before the hunt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
The Man

(No) The deeper the bullet is seat the more the pressure you will experince.

The deeper a bullet is seated, the LESS the pressure that will be developed....but don't take my word alone for it....

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/internal
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob

(No) The deeper the bullet is seat the more the pressure you will experince.

The deeper a bullet is seated, the LESS the pressure that will be developed....but don't take my word alone for it....

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/internal
I had a load that I seated the bullet to sammi specs and had ALOT more pressure to the point that I wasn't comfortable shooting it. No pressure signs, but not comfortable shooting. But don't take my word for it.

Look on page 62.... at .30-06 diagram for minimum over all length of cartridge.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/206.pdf

do the homework before the hunt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page