.35 REM? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

.35 REM?

What are you guys doing for the .35 REM out of a Marlin 336? At one time, I was using IMR-4064.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Re: .35 REM?

I think I'm shooting IMR 3031 in mine....I can't remember! It's been quite a while since I've loaded up for it.

All I can remember is the load isn't super stout, but not very light either. 200gr RN Core-lokts. It's accurate and kills deer, but I just haven't had to load anything for it in years.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
I think I'm shooting IMR 3031 in mine....I can't remember! It's been quite a while since I've loaded up for it.

All I can remember is the load isn't super stout, but not very light either. 200gr RN Core-lokts. It's accurate and kills deer, but I just haven't had to load anything for it in years.
My grandfather uses bascially the same thing. I know he uses the IMR 3031 and 200 grain RN. He uses them in his 760 pump. Not sure of the bullet brand. Knowing him..probably hornady. He shoots spire points from time to time since he can, but they shoot exactly the same at 100 yards.

All I could suggest is try a couple different brands of bullets or powder. Like Jason said you may want to try IMR 3031. Any 200 grain RN will probably work. Buy a brand and try it. If they don't work try another.

Most bullets over 200 grains are normally made for guns with more velocity than a 35 Remington unless you find a round nose out there somewhere. There son't be any advantage of using it over any run of the mill 200 grainer.

I know when he was trying different loads no matter what he loaded they all shot the same out to 100 yards. That there is a fine gun.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM

I'll also add that Winchester 200gr RN FACTORY loads keyholed terribly out of my 336. I have no idea why. I burnt them up quickly and used the brass to reload. I don't know if Winchester offers that bullet as a component though. I only bought the factory stuff for the brass. They were some kind of crazy deal at the Sportsman's Guide years ago....something like $7/box and I couldn't get 50 rounds of brass for under ~$30 at the time so I bought 3 boxes and figured I use them then I found the keyholing issue pretty quick.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Try the Speer .35 Cal 180gr. Flat nose. It is NOT a pistol bullet. I used them years ago in a Marlin 336. They work VERY well.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

If I remember right I used to use AA2520 and Speer 180's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
The Man

IDK..Using anything other than a 200 grain RN just doesn't seem right to me in a 35 remington.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
IDK..Using anything other than a 200 grain RN just doesn't seem right to me in a 35 remington.
Me neither!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

I can't find the ammo box I had with the load data. I got rid of some reloading stuff a few years ago. I think I was using 37g of IMR 4064 behind a 200gr Hornady RN interlock or Sierra RN. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

I want put this rifle in service this fall. Gentlemen, thanks for all your thoughts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Me neither!
Kind of funny. Just had to mention it. I remember when my grandfather just got that rifle all he wanted to do with it was see how fast he could make bullets go with it. I thought it was king of stupid, but you just had to let him go.

He was playing aroud with 180 grainers when he came across a load for 158 grain pistol bullets. Why you would want to send one of those bullets that fast is beyound me, but he tried. They wouldn't feed through his pump, but shot fine if loaded one at a time. He realized later they were meant for a Contender pistol. I also convinced him those bullets were not meant to be shot that fast, and that the 200 grain bullets we designed for the velocity of a typical 35 remington.

He now loads your typical 200 grain bullet at around 2000 fps. Works every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page