Was this a you tube screw up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Was this a you tube screw up

I ask this on another forum but thought I would ask here as well.
I was on you tube looking at videos on making bullet lube. On one the guy used the normal ingredient, with one exception. Instead of STP oil treatment, this guy was using STP gas treatment, and then put it in his microwave oven. Looked like a disaster waiting too happen to me. But I have never made my own lube. Any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 AM
The Man

Re: Was this a you tube screw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady
Any thoughts.
Stop watching you tube.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have watched some very good how to videos on you tube, just like I have read some very good information on Gun and Hunting forums. I was interested in making my own cast bullet lube. Just looking for ideas. But could not see a reason for this ingredient. But just like you tube I have read some pretty strange things on gun forums.
I did not think this was right, but not having attempted making lube myself, ask, I did get replies on the Cast bullet site, apparently this is a common mistake made by guys new too lube making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

that stuff has solvent and petroleum distillates (think gas) in it. heating it up in the mikey is asking for a visit from the fire department. not to mention the funkiness it will impart to your oatmeal the next day. i would just buy the stuff and save the home chemistry for bill nye - the science guy

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I ask this on another forum but thought I would ask here as well.
I was on you tube looking at videos on making bullet lube. On one the guy used the normal ingredient, with one exception. Instead of STP oil treatment, this guy was using STP gas treatment, and then put it in his microwave oven. Looked like a disaster waiting too happen to me. But I have never made my own lube. Any thoughts.
Did you ever hear the old saying "Time wounds all heels"?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

By your logic no one would reload or cast bullets, there are many that will tell you both are too dangerous. If you do go to some of the cast bullet sites, there are many good home made cast bullet lubes, and just like jacketed or cast bullets, not every lube is right for every application. The you tube video I spoke of used an ingredient I had not heard used in cast bullet lube, and felt was dangerous, But that is why you ask questions, there may have been a logical explanation as to why he used what he did.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

reloading and casting is fine. heating explosive, toxic chemicals in your microwave is asking for problems. your gut reaction was correct. would you want this happening in your kitchen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxFSmDVf4Y

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
By your logic no one would reload or cast bullets, there are many that will tell you both are too dangerous.
No, I don't think that at all, but your the one that brought the subject up and asked for our thoughts on the matter.

Bill
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I realize this may not have been the place to ask advanced casting questions, this like all forums is opinionated, I do not do any of my casting in my kitchen. However there are a large percentage of casters and lube makers that do with confidence. Many of the older casting manuals talked of low smoke flux in kitchen areas casting. I know of casters that heat treat bullets in their wives kitchen oven, as well as mix lubes in the kitchen area. Now I know these guys have pans specifically designated for these purposes but I do not think casting should be around food, or living quarters. But that is my opinion.
The question was even if done in a saucepan, this guy chose to use a microwave. Is there a viable reason to use STP gas treatment in place of STP oil treatment that many lube makers use in their mix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page