S type bushing FL resizing die question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steeltrap

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

S type bushing FL resizing die question

I have been reloading for over 20 years now so the process isn't new to me. However, I'm about to dip my toes into bushing style reloading dies. I just ordered a Redding "S" type FL resizer . I'm also breaking in a barrel on a new rifle and beginning to work up new loads for the rifle. Im at the point where I'm going to figure out seating depth and I'm using the Hornady OAL gauge and Comparator. I want to have the shoulder at the exact distance it's going to sit in the chamber before being fired but I don't want the neck sized at all so that I can easily use the Hornady AOL gauge. Would I be able to run a fired case through the die without a neck bushing or expander to accomplish this or do I have to buy a "body only" die?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

I have the Redding neck sizing bushing. Without the bushing the case would be inserted into "air".

What I do when I want the case neck to have a tiny amount of hold on the bullet in order to use my Hornady OAL gauge is, I just push the once fired case into the neck die by a tiny bit. This usually puts a crimp just at the top (I'm speaking of a few thousands) which is enough of a crimp to hold the bullet.....yet still let it slide into the case when you chamber it. It's at times a trial and error method.

I hope this helps.
sweg likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweg View Post
I have been reloading for over 20 years now so the process isn't new to me. However, I'm about to dip my toes into bushing style reloading dies. I just ordered a Redding "S" type FL resizer . I'm also breaking in a barrel on a new rifle and beginning to work up new loads for the rifle. Im at the point where I'm going to figure out seating depth and I'm using the Hornady OAL gauge and Comparator. I want to have the shoulder at the exact distance it's going to sit in the chamber before being fired but I don't want the neck sized at all so that I can easily use the Hornady AOL gauge. Would I be able to run a fired case through the die without a neck bushing or expander to accomplish this or do I have to buy a "body only" die?
Buy the modified case, in your application the only thing the Lock and load tool does is measure the bullet seating depth to the Ogive. It really doesn't matter where the shoulder is in relation to determine the seating depth of the bullet.

If you shoot the loaded round without sizing the neck for load development you're going to run into a completely different load once you start playing with bushings and neck tension. At least you will in a super accurate rifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:18 PM

I use redding competition neck bushing dies, these do not bump the shoulder back like the full length shoulder dies. I do not use the Hornady tool, I believe that they are not precise unless you are using a modified case that was actually fired in your chamber. You can make your own from your fired cases. I partly neck size a case, fired from the chamber of the rifle, I am reloading for, seat a bullet long , put it in the chamber and slowly close the bolt, carefully open the bolt and take a measurement. What you will find is the bullet will be pushed into the case, this could be the seating depth of where you are just touching the lands, but many times the bullet will actually be pulled slightly out of the case, from sticking in the throat. I will do this several times, . When I think that the bullet is giving a true depth setting reading I seat a bullet a few thousands under and try it in the chamber, then seat it again a thousand or two out till there is no change in the seating depth of the bullet, in or out. Like I said many time your bullet is actually pulled out of the case a little. You can mark the case with smoke or a marker, but I have never been able to see well enough to be right on. With your Hornady tool and an actual case from your chamber, threaded to fit you tool, this would probably be the easy way. If you are using a full length sizing die sometimes a spacer between the die and shell holder will prevent you from bumping back your shoulder. This is when working with bolt guns. Hard to explain it in words. Problem is many factory chambers have a larger neck diameter than you want, it may be hard to get a bushing that sizes enough, to give good bullet tension, with out over sizing and allowing to much neck expansion. Only partly sizing the neck can help with this problem. The part of the neck closestto the shoulder would then be unsized, and the part closet to the mouth can be sized enough to still hold the bullet well. Again it is hard to say it all in words. Read on some of the reloading forums and you will find some people who are able to explain it well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:23 PM

If you have a custom barrel with a neck turn chamber, then you will be able to take the measurements of you cases, turn your necks, pick your bushing, and save some time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Throw the H gauge away. Take the firing pin and ejector out of you bolt. If you can't take ejectetor out go ahead and leave it in. Work bolt in rifle to get a feal for how it feels closing. It should fall closed on its own. Now do it with a case or several cases fired in the rifle. This will give you feel of and expanded case after firing, it will normally take a bit of pressure to close the bolt. Size a case with your die, die type irrelevent, it should start to fall closed a bit. With just very little pressure from 1 finger in should close the rest of the way. Might take a few adjustments but is pretty easy to find the right spot. If you really think the other option that you are trying is best just get on an accuracy forum and see how many different opinions there are on using the Guage properly. The method I described is what most experienced benchrest shooters use.If you experience misfires you have it sized too much and need to back off a tiny bit on your sizing amount. Great choice with the full length type s bushing die.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page