weighing reloading components - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

weighing reloading components

i posted this in the archery section about broadheads and brought it here to find out about reloading techniques. basically weighing the components to make sure everything is the exact same weight ?

Chuck Adams had some very interesting stuff to say about tuning a bow. basically it equated to the same as hand loading bullets.

he said to weigh every target tip or broad head. every arrow, vane, insert and nock. all of them do not weigh the same, there are variances allowed in the manufacture of products. he claimed to have done this and only shot the arrows that weighed the same when he was done making his own.

QUESTION:

i guess when reloading a person makes sure the powder charges are the same in every shell, but do any of you that reload weigh the bullet or brass ? wouldnt different brass thickness cause different pressure and affect accuracy ? wouldnt different weights cause a change in accuracy ? would different brass, Remington vs. Winchester cause a difference in accuracy too ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Of course you can weigh every bullet and every case, but unless you are a precision shooter, putting multiple bullets into one tiny hole at distance, weighing every component is not worth it.

I reload my own hunting ammo, and while I will use the same brand cases (Remington), and weigh each powder charge, I donít weigh each bullet. My Win Model 70 in .30/06 will still shot under 1Ē groups at 100 yards.

Bench rest shooters will weight everything, but that is a whole different breed of shooter.
bohunr and jeffppc like this.

Steve
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 AM
The Man

I only weigh each component when I am going on an out of state trip. For deer hunting here at home, I get enough accuracy without going through all of that. But on an out of state trip, where I may be faced with only one longer shot and have some money invested in the trip, I don't want any screw ups. I weigh the cases and discard any that are not very close. I weigh the bullets and very seldom find any variance worth bothering about. And of course I weigh all of the powder charges versus throwing them from a powder measure. Exact same length, etc. It does tighten up the groups to be meticulous. It just isn't necessary for shooting deer here at under 100 yards.
bohunr and 325wsm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

thats what i was thinking. i dont reload but my buddy does. i was helping him reload for my sons 7mm-08 and i asked if he ever weighed the bullets and he said he never thought about it. i just wondered if anyone does this and if it really makes a difference with long range shooting.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:02 AM
The Man

It all depends on how accurate or tight shooting the particular rifle is. Some do not shoot tight enough that you could see the difference a single component makes.

I have found that most modern bullets are close to advertised weight. Case weight is not an issue but case volume could be an issue. Different primers and powder lots can also make a difference. Then there is temperature. This could get complicated!
bohunr and Born2Hunt like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As a long range benchrest the shooter I do all of then above except weighing cases as I have not found an advantage doing so . Weighing powder down to 1 kernel, weighing bullets down now to . 04 of a grain, sorting bullets by measurement to .0005, and on and on. But, when making a long range shot or trying to shoot a .1 or less group at 100 yds, I believe it is all trumped by reading conditions. How much will the wind affect the shot at that particular instant. In relationship to a bullet an arrow is crawling so a tiny inconsistency is magnified. So for hunting I do not weigh bullets or sort them by measurement. I weigh powder to a.1 of a grain. The exception would be trying to shoot over 500 yds then I load just like I so for matches. Think about it, if your rifle shoots 1.5 groups at 100 yds as opposed to .75 groups do you really think it would cause you to miss a deer at 400 yds as opposed to having no idea how far your bullet drops at that range in addition to how far a 15mph wind will blow it. So now you have an animal shot in the guts or with a front leg blown off. Just some things to think about.
bohunr, Dogface and kenh6412 like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:21 PM
The Man

The thickness of brass varies from manufacture so some cases will give a longer powder column.
I also measure down to the kernel.
bohunr likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

would a heavier case have thicker walls and increase pressure more than the same load in a lighter case ?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:36 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
would a heavier case have thicker walls and increase pressure more than the same load in a lighter case ?
It is about internal volume. If a thick and thin case have the same internal volume all things would be equal but most likely a thicker walled case will have less internal volume and with an equal powder charge the pressure would most likely be higher.

Military case are a good example. It is usually suggested to decrease the powder charge in a military case because of the thicker walls and thus less volume.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page