The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

.35 Whelen AI with high pressure signs

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  outofstater 
#1 ·
I'm interested in your thoughts and advice.

I recently acquired a 1903 Springfield chambered in .35 Whelen Ackley Improved. So far I've fired 2 dozen shots with factory ammo. Nearly equal amounts of Remington 250's, Nosler 225 AB and Federal Fusion 200 grainers. Every primer is flattened with some of them partially dislodged(or unseated, not sure of the proper term?). A few times the bolt was 'sticky' to lift but the shells all extracted easily.

Now that they're fire formed will the cases be ok to load and shoot or is there likely a significant problem?

Thanks, FH

#2 ·
I had a box of factory 3006 new unprimed case that when loaded did the same thing, I checked the case lenth and found the shoulder was sent back from the factory. I pulled the bullets and seated them out to just touch the rifleing and fire formed them, the problem went away. I always check head to shoulder on new cases now.

#6 ·
Agree.

A properly cut AI chamber will have contact with with the chamber shoulder and a portion of the case shoulder. Most likely your case shoulder was not making contact with the chamber shoulder resulting in the case being pushed forward in the chamber when the firing pin made contact with the primer.

There is a good chance that your cases are still not correctly formed to your chamber.

When fireforming cases I always seat bullets out deep to create extra resistance to minimize case movement within the chamber. But this will only be beneficial if the chamber is cut correctly.

Good luck, Tony

#7 ·
Now that you have fire formed the factory ammo to your chamber you should be ok. Start mild on your reloads and if you still notice a problem definitely get the headspace checked.

#9 ·
Im kind of thinking since you used factory ammo to fireform it will be okay now. Never heard of a 35 Ai but best of luck with it. If your loading any new brass as mentioned to form more give it a stiff standard load and seat the bullet in the lands. Im working a 260 ai now myself.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.