Still donít like it - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Still donít like it

I still donít like how the price of components are way up. But a question was asked about a certain round for Deer. I went to the link provided, a little over $20.00 for a box of 20. I thought that has to be high. Did some checking. That was a pretty good price for the 35 Rem.
So I guess the $20.00 I just paid for a can of IMR 3031 and $28.00 for CCI LR primers was not such a bad deal. Reloading you kind of forget what guys are paying a box for Ammo today. Sure would cut into the range time with factory ammo at those prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM
The Man

Re: Still donít like it

$20.00 for a lb of powder is good nowadays!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I see you are SW Pa, as well. I buy my Reloading components and Guns from Kenny Bee in Saltsburg Best prices I have found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
The Man

Last few can I've bought from the show at the Washington Fairgrounds, paid $22-24/can for a bunch of IMR stuff

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know if I had to pay factory prices I would not be shoting very much. Now you need to start buying your powder in 5# and 8# jugs. That will get you back down under $20 a pound. I also watch for primers on sale, and specials. Cabela'sjust ran CCI smaall rifle for 19.99/1000. I bought a bunch!! I stock up heavy. I just bought a few 5# containers of Trail Boss from a small dealer. There is about another 30# or so of powder to buy and then I will have everything I will ever need for the rest of my life.

It also helps considerably to cast your own bullets. I can cast and shoot over 1,000 rounds in my 45 Colt for about $100. That is about as cheap as you can get. Tom.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yes I also cast, big savings there as well. As of now I am down to 8 molds.
Problem with buying bulk powder is, I load 380, 9MM, 38/357, 40S&W, 45ACP, and 45LC. Then in Rifle 223, 22-250, 270, 3030, 308, and 3006. So I have the powder down to 6 different powders. Some like W-231 I could buy in bulk. But others like red dot not so much and three different rifle powders. Sometimes I think I need a bookkeeper to keep it all straight.
Lately I have been telling myself I need a new Ruger super Black hawk in 44 Mag, which would mean another mold and maybe another powder, but then the Ruger 45LC looks so lonely in the gun safe. surrounded by a couple 22s, a 38, and a 357 in revolvers. My wife says I have a problem, it doesnít seem to be a problem to me. I am helping her out, she donít even need to think about a Christmas present for me, just have the bigger gun safe delivered.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I load for a friends 218 Bee, at $80 a box for factory ammo the savings is amazing!!

CAUTION: I SHOOT A 700 REMINGTON
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yes its all to obvious some cartridges it would be impossible to shoot if not for reloading. I just bought my ninth mold in 7MM. Not that 7MM is rare, but itís for a Chilean Mauser. In 7X57 not that itís as expensive as the 218 Bee you are talking about, but too much to punch paper with, if you can even find 7X57 in factory ammo at a local shop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM

I LOVE reloading! Even at today's prices for components it is worth it. I'm in the process of instructing my son on the subject. He loves it too! I have been reloading for 38 years and started at the age of 14. I killed my first buck with one of my own handloads. My son at age 13 plans to do the same.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page