Dillon Square DeAL B or 550 - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
Thanks guys... I am still thinking about it. I saw some stories of primer tubes and trays exploding... Any of you hear anything like this?
I've never had this occur......but you know....Murphy's law. Reloading is working with explosive stuff.

Thousands of guys load hundreds of thousands of rounds every year. I dunno the stat's.....but maybe you getting hit by lighting is better.

You gotta be careful and not do "dumb" things. Like if a primer is caught sideways.....it's probably not a good idea to keep pounding on the press lever to loosen the primer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

So with a dillon (can't speak to the others, not saying they're bad, I just know how the dillon system works), the primer tube sits back a smidge from the station on the press where priming is done. I don't know...maybe an inch, give or take?

There is a shuttle that comes back to take a fresh primer, which then is shuttled forward under the station holding the case to be primed. Incidentally, this same station, on the up-stroke, resizes/deprimes the case. On the downstroke, the fresh primer is brought under the case, and you bring the case all the way down, then press the handle forward to seat the primer.

There is nothing above the primer when it is seated except an empty brass casing.

So....a chain detonation of the tube full of primers, while I'm sure someone could (and has) make it happen, I'm not entirely sure HOW they would accomplish it. At least, not with normal press operation.

I haven't setup my 550 yet, but I've used my 450 a fair bit, which is the same thing but without the option of the removable tool heads.

I can easily do a 300 or so rounds in an hour, probably more, without hurrying myself...just reloading at an unrushed pace. While I thought going into this I just had to have the autoindexing of the 650 or Hornady LnL, and I'm sure it's cool to have it, you learn a rhythm pretty readily that includes indexing the shell plate.

The only thing I can't do with 4 stations that I'd do with 5 is that I can't have a powder check die. I have the resize/deprime die on Station 1. The brass is also primed on station 1. On station 2, the case is flared and powder is dropped. Station 3 seats the bullet. Station 4 crimps. I have my lighting so that I can easily see into the case on Station 2 when it comes down and I just visually look as the case comes down to be sure powder dropped. Not as good as a check die, I know, but it's still a check to avoid squibs.

If I wanted to adjust a seater to also crimp, I could run a check die, too, but I prefer seating and crimping separately.

I used to do my pistol ammo on a rockchucker. That got old, fast. I moved to a Lyman turret to speed it up, which it did. But I still hated it.

The Dillon makes loading some volume ammo much, MUCH less of a chore. Definitely glad I got into that setup.

Check out a place called Inline Fabrication. I haven't used their stuff yet, but some folks whose opinions I trust have, and they swear by them. Essentially, you put a flat mount plate on your bench and can then put adapters on any/all presses. The press then locks into the plate and you run it like any other press, but then when you're done, you can remove the whole thing and have the press off your bench. Multiple presses? No worries. Put an adapter on each one, then just put the one you need at that time into the plate on your bench and go to work. This is how my bench is getting rigged. I can run my Rockchucker for hunting rifle ammo, 450 will be used for 5.56/308 volume ammo, and the 550 for pistols.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM

i have a rcbs pro 2000 with most of the shell plates and auto index upgrade kit i might be willing to let go for the right price
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
There is a shuttle that comes back to take a fresh primer, which then is shuttled forward under the station holding the case to be primed. Incidentally, this same station, on the up-stroke, resizes/deprimes the case. On the downstroke, the fresh primer is brought under the case, and you bring the case all the way down, then press the handle forward to seat the primer.

There is nothing above the primer when it is seated except an empty brass casing.

So....a chain detonation of the tube full of primers, while I'm sure someone could (and has) make it happen, I'm not entirely sure HOW they would accomplish it. At least, not with normal press operation.
The shuttle "system" or setup is also the same type used by Hornady and RCBS, and Dillon.

As you stated when the primer is being seated there is nothing above it but the brass. Same for all three. However (isn't there always a "however"?) the issue comes into play when the primer shuttle goes "back" and picks up a primer from the primer feed tube. The feed tube is where all primers are stacked one on top of each other. If a primer would happen to get "stuck" (ie" tilted or something such as a grain of powder or whatever only lets the primer half-drop, then I would think if the operator were to use some force in an attempt to free the primer, I can see where the primer could be detonated and then.....all the primers above it are going to wait their turn.

It's always safe to NOT force anything if a jam has occurred. Remove the suspected piece where the jam is, clean and inspect, and if something is broken or damaged call the customer support for the product.

FWIW
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I been loading over 20 years, I am really looking to load pistol faster to feed my AR-9, AR-45 and my pistolas! I just know its better to ask guys who do, and not just read stuff.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Any progressive press will do what you're looking for. I do have a case feeder for my Hornady and when I load 44mag and 45acp it's a very nice feature. I've thought of getting a bullet feed......but I do like to look into the case for the powder charge before I set the bullet.

I also have the RCBS lockout die. This is for pistol cartridges and when you set it up, if any case is significantly over or under charges.....this die just STOPS your press. That will get your attention. I highly recommend getting a lockout die for a progressive. Not the powder check die.....that's like watching a fast ping-pong game....and if you're not looking at it.....you will miss over\under charges. The lockout die just does it's thing and if over\under occurs....it stops your press.

FIWI
Pahack likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Any progressive press will do what you're looking for. I do have a case feeder for my Hornady and when I load 44mag and 45acp it's a very nice feature. I've thought of getting a bullet feed......but I do like to look into the case for the powder charge before I set the bullet.

I also have the RCBS lockout die. This is for pistol cartridges and when you set it up, if any case is significantly over or under charges.....this die just STOPS your press. That will get your attention. I highly recommend getting a lockout die for a progressive. Not the powder check die.....that's like watching a fast ping-pong game....and if you're not looking at it.....you will miss over\under charges. The lockout die just does it's thing and if over\under occurs....it stops your press.

FIWI

WOW, didn't know there was a die for that! Good Looking out
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

If you’re patient, deals are out there on used presses too. Can often stretch your dollar a good bit.

The pricier stuff tends to hold its value though.

As for running a progressive, expect to be overwhelmed at first and not feel like it was the right move.

Once you get past the feeling like you’re all thumbs, you’ll get a rhythm going and find you can pound out a fair quantity of ammo in a short amount of time.
Pahack and Steeltrap like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page