Die recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Die recommendations

Have been reloading for 50+ years and want to start reloading for my Springfield Armory Saint AR .223 / 5.56 and need recommendations on dies. I have always stuck with RCBS gear but would like to see if there are other options to consider.
Among other things I wonder if I need a SBSD (small base sizer die) for the AR? On my M1 Garand I need to use SBSD or else the cartridges will not chamber.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Why would you need a SBSD for an AR? Not being smart just curious as I was think about reloading for my AR's too. I've always had good service with RCBS and Redding dies.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:51 PM

I am thinking about getting a conversion kit for my Dillion 650 for 223. I have not purchased any .223 dies yet either, but have always purchased RCBS and some have been used for many many years with only bending a pin or two along the way. I do have some old 38/357 Lyman and Pacific dies which were given to me as used, but I have never had the need to use them.

I will follow this post to see what I can learn....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had the same question a month or so ago, after I built my first AR. The research I did was typical, some said you need a small base die, some said you didnt. The route I am going is to load using a non-SB die. If I have chambering issues with my reload's then I will look at the SB die option. So far I have not have had any issues using the non-SB die. Personally I like to work the case as little as possible when resizing, so to me the SB die went against that. But; chamber dimensions and the amount of rounds being put through the firearm between cleanings could dictate the need for a SB die in a different firearm.

Good luck, Tony
Waynzee likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:54 PM

I like RCBS dies honestly. I was on a bit of a Lee kick for a while, but I'm since gone back to RCBS. I tried some of the cheap Hornady dies too, but I didn't care for them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

What about Redding?
Pahack and Waynzee like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM

A small base die is $10 more.223 brass is as cheap as you can get.PGC range or club pick up is free.No need to worry about brass life.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I appreciate all the replies. Really interesting stuff; lots to think about.

But for the sake of clarification -- it's not a question of brass life or the cost of die set. It is a question I have relative to the possibility of the re-loaded rounds NOT chambering in the weapon if they are not run through an SBSD. And in this case it is an AR .223 / 5.56.

And the question is based on the fact that I must use a SBSD of all the re-loads I put through my M1, or else they will not chamber and get stuck right there.

Let me put a finer point on this. Do re-loads for semi automatic rifles need to be processed through a SBSD to assure that they will chamber in the weapon?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
What about Redding?
I like RCBS but this is the best of the options.

Democracy: 2 wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
Liberty: Well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:14 AM
dce
Sage

For a .223,I really like Hornady dies.Their bullet seating die has an internal aligner that keeps small bullets from going in the neck crooked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page