Rifle primers In/outs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Rifle primers In/outs

What are the do/don'ts, when to use vs when not to use, and what to expect in comparison to:

Standard primers:

Magnium primers:

Bench rest primers:

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

First.....look at the load data from a reliable source. They should have the primer brand and type listed in the recipe. Make sure the data is from a reliable source....not from a guy with a tagline of "BIGBOOM" who is on a forum.

Standard primers: Sufficient energy to reliably ignite the powder charge in the case.

Magnum primers: More energy than standard and are usually recommended for cartridges that contain a large quantity of powder such as the 45-70. (Not always the case as it depends upon the powder and recipe....back to reliable data)

Benchrest Primers: Primer makers (as I understand it) weigh each primer. For benchrest primers there is a much tighter tolerance of low\high weight so that loads can be more consistent than other primers.

Some powders, such as Vithavouri state to NEVER use a magnum primer with their powders.

Last edited by Steeltrap; 02-24-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Add Vithavouri comment
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Standard primers work for most cartridges . If your shooting a cartridge with a slower burn rate powder you may get better accuracy with a mag primer. If your loading within listed charge weight of powder either is safe. Bench rest primers are not individually weighed. There seems to be some confusion or lack of information on how the various manufacturers make those designated as benchrest. I was told by a CCI rep years ago that when they spread the primer compound to be applied in the cups they pick lots they subjectivley preceive to be very uniform and they become the benchrest primers. Seems to be mystery subject on the accuracy forums. There is a group within the accuracy game who weigh both fired and unfired primers trying to determine if accuracy can be improved by weighing and sorting primers. General consensus at this time seems to be there is nothing to be gained from this . I have seen pics of primers ignitedfor testing showing the flames produced . They can vary quite an bit. Some std flames seem at least as strong as some mags. If not even a bit more. One very important thing is never switch rifle and pistol primers between the different types of firearms. All manuals do not list primer information. The statement on not using mag primers with VV powder is not in the VV manual I have and it does list magnum primers but I have have had it for close 10 years so a newer version my have had a little more lawyer input than mine.

Last edited by jeffppc; 02-24-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

IIRC, I believe I got the "weigh it" information from Handloader magazine. If......I got 10 years of subscriptions....I come across it again I'll revive this post.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I currently use the Sierra, Speer and One book/One caliber books as my reloading guides. I ask the question because a friend quit reloading and another friend bought Magnum primers as recommend by a sporting goods store and they don't match any of the loads recommended in any of my books for his or my pet loads. So I how have those magnum primers.

Regarding the Bench rest primers some also given to me and I have had some for years that I used with match bullets with good results but nothing outstanding above the standard primers for my 222.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Load those mags and have fun. If the word mag scares you drop your loads .5 and work back up a tenth at a time. Give you something to do and keep you out of trouble, lol.
Waynzee likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The primers from Federal that are labeled as "match" are from the machines that are operated by their most experienced employees.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff View Post
The primers from Federal that are labeled as "match" are from the machines that are operated by their most experienced employees.
This is interesting, I heard a similar story about CCI years ago. I just hung up the phone to get the real story from Federal to get the correct answer. They are having a primer tech from CCI call be back in a bit. I will put the info on here, then we will know.
Born2Hunt and Steeltrap like this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
Load those mags and have fun. If the word mag scares you drop your loads .5 and work back up a tenth at a time. Give you something to do and keep you out of trouble, lol.
Could have used some advise like that when I was in my 20's.
Steeltrap likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Is this page working yet. Spent 10 minutes pecking in an answer, it said page was not working and all my pecking went away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page