RCBS Powder Master Dispenser problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

RCBS Powder Master Dispenser problem

Hoping someone can offer some insight to a problem I'm having.

I have an older RCBS Powder Master Dispenser. It's the older model made by PACT with the digital "eye" that communicates with the scale. The unit is probably 15 years old, out of warranty.

There is a crack in the plastic housing that was not there before. I recently had some guys doing work at my house and I suspect that one of them knocked my dispenser on the ground and broke it. Before anyone brings it up, it's a complex set of circumstances and it would be virtually impossible for me to try to go after them for the damage. In fact I'm not even sure that it was them.

That being said, the dispenser will not calibrate. Scale works fine and dispenser registers that it's communicating with the dispenser. When I fill the dispenser and try to calibrate it to the powder, the light just blinks but the motors do not turn. I've seen that you can do a factory re-set on the scale(and I've tried that), but no mention of that for the dispenser. Anyone ever have this problem, or know how I could fix it?

I'm planning to call RCBS on Monday to see if they have any solutions, but at this point I suspect that I'll be buying a new unit.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 PM

Usually when dispenser light does not come steady to communicate with the scale the cord is in the way.

Do you see an err1?

turn off scale and dispenser...Try pushing all buttons on the dispenser 3 times plug both back in and go through procedure.

If no luck:

You can call Bill or Charlie at 800/397-1732 They are very helpful
bigguy54 likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Usually when dispenser light does not come steady to communicate with the scale the cord is in the way.

Do you see an err1?

turn off scale and dispenser...Try pushing all buttons on the dispenser 3 times plug both back in and go through procedure.

If no luck:

You can call Bill or Charlie at 800/397-1732 They are very helpful
The scale light comes on and stays steady. No err1. It's the calibrate light on the dispenser that just blinks and powder won't dispense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 PM

The dispenser light comes on, but the calibrate light does not come on and therefore it does not calibrate? Never had that happen. I am sure a call to the tech rep. above will solve your problem unless it was something to do with the crack.

You are aware they no longer manufacture that unit? I have mine for years and sometimes it gives me a little start up issue, but I have always got it going and the scale is accurate based on my check with another scale every few loads.

Good luck, please lets us know what they say.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I messed with this thing for a couple of hours this morning, no luck. I ended up tearing it apart hoping that I could find something loose or broken inside...no luck. Everything inside seemed fine to the naked eye. At first the motor would kick on and then stop after 1 second, now it won't turn on at all. I'm convinced that there was some kind of damage to the electronics.

Bit the bullet and drove to Grice this afternoon. Bough a new chargemaster lite that they had on sale. $20 rebate too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM

You didn't call RCBS????

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM

How do you like the new one?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

No I didn't call. I just cut my losses and bought the new one. The sale price @ Grice was actually lower than anything I found online and I didn't have to pay shipping.

I haven't really used it yet, but so far I'm impressed with it. Much easier to operate in terms of set up and calibration. It has a lot more features than my old model. Built in level, auto dispense, a powder drain, back lit touchscreen keypad that is easy to see and use. I'm hoping that it's also a bit faster than my old model.

The only downside I see is that it's all 1 unit and the scale cannot be removed for use as a stand alone unit. However, my old scale is still working fine so this isn't really an issue for me. I guess it's also a plus that I don't have to worry about the cord getting in the way, or bothering to sync the 2 units. Also, I don't think you can save powder charges in it, but I never used that feature anyways.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:53 PM

Cool. Enjoy.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 PM

Started up the old RCBS/PACT today. It gave me some issues at start up as the scale did not want to set up...finally worked on the fourth try. Then I set it for 18.5 grain and when I poured it in the 222 brass it over flowed. Now I have made compressed loads, but that is a bit much. I ran another load and weighted it on another scale to see I had excess of 27 grains total. So again I reset every thing and it worked. I guess it saw me goggling new scale/dispensers on my computer.

I made 14 different test loads of three which meant changing the grains almost every time and the powder once. I checked almost every load and at least the first of each of three test loads and it was very accurate.

Going to try some more tomorrow. Think I will turn on the computer to reloading equipment first thing to try and bluff it in working on the first try.

From the research I did on the web there were bad comment about RCBS, Lyman and Hornady equipment. Let know how the RCBS lite is operating for you.....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page