starline brass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

starline brass

It is February so that is my personal month to try to work up new test loads to be fired as soon as the weather breaks and tweak things from there. Just a side hobby, not a bench rest shooter; I'm a cheapskate with plain old single stage presses looking for accuracy = to premium store bought ammo (although I spend more $ getting there and try to beat it).
Over the last few years I have started to migrate towards starline brass when I am starting up a new load originally due to the lack of availability of Remington brass. Remington was always my go-to, especially because it seemed to be readily available for purchase or as a "once fired gift" from friends.
I have been impressed with how consistent the starline brass is for me as a shade tree reloader (at least for trim length, intact case mouths, price, and availability) as compared to the Remington brass I have bought in the past.
Am I missing something, or are others that are "shade tree" reloaders finding the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Starline is well-regarded. It's good brass.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 PM

Good brass for sure. I've never really used Remington.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 PM

Straight wall and pistol brass is some of the best manufactured. Rifle brass isn't regarded quite so highly, being just started in the late 2000's whereas their bread and butter pistol lines have been around for over 40 years now.
Quality control issues have been mentioned in problems with rifle brass.
tdd likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WADMAN View Post
Straight wall and pistol brass is some of the best manufactured. Rifle brass isn't regarded quite so highly, being just started in the late 2000's whereas their bread and butter pistol lines have been around for over 40 years now.
Quality control issues have been mentioned in problems with rifle brass.
Good to know. Thanks. All of my purchases have been straight walled pistol or 45-70.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM

I used to live down the road from Starline (and Sierra Bullets which is next door) in the 90's. That's when I first started using their brass for my 41 mag. Loved then and still use it now. Just bought another 100 41 mag cases last month. Used it for my 45 autos as well when I 1st started shooting 1911's. Never had any problems with quality

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've never had an issue with Remington brass, and it's probably my preferred brass. However, it's been hard to find at times, so I bought some Starline .44mag brass this year. I think I bought 500 pieces for loads in my Super Blackhawk and T/C Contender. No issues, no complaints.

Steve
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Part of the Community

I have been using Starline for quite some time and tried not only their straight walled pistol and rifle cases but also some of their bottle neck cases. As stated by others their pistol brass is second to none. Their bottle neck rifle cases are very good though I would put some premium brass above them but the cost is considerably more for the others. I like Lapua for accuracy rounds and otherwise I use a lot of Hornady. If I am not trying for benchrest accuracy then the Starline is great. One thing I ran into was trying to form 309 JDJ cases from 444 Marlin brass. The brass is actually too heavy with the Starline to form easily. I found that I had to anneal the upper portion before the brass would flow easily enough to make the 309 JDJ but then again I have found that any brass can be tough to make that particular round. I am now finding that I run the 444 into a 356 Win die then into a 308 die in order to make the transition before fireforming the final 309 case. The annealing certainly made it a lot easier as I destroyed all the cases trying to go straight from 444 to 308 Win, something that I could do with Remington and Hornady. Perhaps annealing might be a step that Starline might need to put into the process. Pistol brass - I won't use anything else. Rifle brass I will use a lot of Starline's like the 300 AAC Blackout which has been wonderful. 45-70 is also exceptional quality. It's worth a try.

Diversity exists because of what makes America great --- our freedom.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:51 PM

If I'm buying brass for any of my revolvers, it's 100% starline. Now, I'll reload what ever I have, but I will only buy starline brass.

For small lots of rifle brass, I'll look elsewhere since the lowest quantity you can get on most (on the Starline website) is 250. That's simply way too much quantity for something like my .358 Winchester, where 60 good pieces of brass will last me the rest of my life!

Big LSWC's rule
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

working with 200 pieces of new 41 mag over the weekend. Most were .001-.004 under the recommended book trim length?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in