2400 or 4227 mag primers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goose Slayer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

2400 or 4227 mag primers?

Any recommendations? 4.25" ruger redhawk .45 colt 250gr XTPs for a ruger only load.
Have 2400 and was thinking of maybe buying a lb of 4227 to try as it seems to have a wider range of load weights.
All of my manuals list a WLP primer (subs for a mag primer) but I have CCI LP and CCI LP mag and would like to use them up so interested in those that use something besides WLP primers with 2400 or 4227 in a .45 colt. They are all really close on the burn rate chart (along with 296 that I am not going to try this first round). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM
New Arrival

Magnum primers should not be used with 2400.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would use up the CCI 300 LP primers, the CCI 350 LP Mag. are for H110 and Win. 296 powders. CCI Primers are about all I ever use but have had good luck with Federal primers. H110 and Win. 296 are good powders for hunting loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys. Going to try with cci LP and 2400. Found some correspondence from an Alliant tech on another reloading forum that they recommend regular primers although years ago mag primers were listed with some 2400 loads. Alliant reloading guide has reg primers listed for their 44 mag loads with 2400, but there were no ruger only loads listed for the 45 colt.
Wish the manuals would list recipes with different primers sometimes. Stopped by my LGS tonight and the Win LP primer box states good for both reg and mag loads. My Hornady, Lee, and Hodgdon manuals all list WLP for Hornady XTP 250gr 45 colt ruger only loads.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Part of the Community

I did some extensive testing with the 45 Colt and found CCI 350 LPM primers and 22.1 grains IMR 4227 powder behind a Hornady 250 grain XTP to be a superb combination. Out of my Ruger Blackhawk with a 4-5/8" barrel I had 1,089 fps avg and a nice tight group. I had tried CCI 300 also and didn't see a lot of difference but that is my firearm. You need to try them both and see which works for you and start with a reduced load and work your way up. The Sierra manual recommends CCI-350 for use with IMR-4227. I would not use the mag primers with 2400.
sdowns likes this.

Diversity exists because of what makes America great --- our freedom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page