Reloads for .243 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Reloads for .243

I'm heading to Wyoming for an antelope hunt this fall and am taking my .243. I usually load 100 grain Nosler Partitions and usually use IMR-7828 powder. But I have seen that Nosler has updated their load info recently and are listing some powders that are attaining some higher velocities such as: RL 25, H1000, Norma MRP and Magnum.
Has anyone loaded any of these in their .243 and if so, what kind of accuracy were you getting? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What works in another rifle your barrel might not like. If you have been doing well with 7828 why switch for a small increase in velocity. You might be further ahead to try some bullets with a higher BC. The Partitions do not fare so well in that area.
300 Norma Mag and Waynzee like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I like the performance of the partitions on deer sized game so I want to stay with that bullet. I want to possibly switch powders to get the utmost accuracy that I can. The accuracy that I accept for less than 100 yard PA deer hunting is different than what I want to have for potentially shooting a speedgoat at 3-400 yards, hence why I asked about the accuracy that they are getting.
I realize rifles are different. I've been reloading for about 25 years. Thought I'd ask on here just to gauge an idea if several others on here have had particular success with one or more of those powders for a starting point. This is usually a good place to ask.

Hope that clears everything up.
willyp and Waynzee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 AM
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Years ago when I was reloading, I was shooting into a nickel at 100 yards from a Browning A Bolt, 20 barrel with 95g Nosler Partition, 40.7g IMR4350, CCI primer, brass neck sized only. Never had a chance to use it on anything but paper, but shot and carried nice. Never fell in love with the rig, its gone, as I am a Gamemaster fan. Give it a try. Good luck.
kudu58 likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:44 AM

What size groups do you have now with the powder you are loading at 3 to 400 yards ?
What do you need for groups at that range ?

WILLY P
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

DVD, thank you for providing an answer that is pertinent to my question!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
What size groups do you have now with the powder you are loading at 3 to 400 yards ?
What do you need for groups at that range ?
I've never fired my current .243 load at 3-400 yards, never needed to. On most of my hunting trips I usually took my 7mm mag, but I want to use something different this time, just for kicks. I want the most accuracy that I can get, whatever that is. This is by far not my first hunting trip, nor my first time sighting in and shooting a rifle for a hunt. Part of the fun for me is developing loads and seeing how they shoot. I am not lost on this. I do not need help figuring anything out. I appreciate the help, but I just want to know if anyone had experience loading these powders and what kind of results they had. Thank you.
willyp likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Back in the day when I had a .243, I loaded any bullet weights under 100gr. (not 100gr.) using H-414. Always provided sub-MOA accuracy out to 300-yds....the longest I had a range to shoot.

One thing that always perplexed me was once I went to a 100gr. bullet, the groups would open up much more than I liked. So....I shot any bullet under 98gr.

I hope this helps.
willyp and kudu58 like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
DVD, thank you for providing an answer that is pertinent to my question!
No problem... it was scary tight... believe me. I suprised myself. I hope you can work up a load that knocks off your socks, and knocks game over. I just never had the confidence in myself to use anything under .270WIN.
kudu58 likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Back in the day when I had a .243, I loaded any bullet weights under 100gr. (not 100gr.) using H-414. Always provided sub-MOA accuracy out to 300-yds....the longest I had a range to shoot.

One thing that always perplexed me was once I went to a 100gr. bullet, the groups would open up much more than I liked. So....I shot any bullet under 98gr.

I hope this helps.
Did you ever shoot the 95 grain Partitions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page