Frequent Contributor

What Turret Press Do You Like?

And why, been looking at getting one.

Last edited by ruger300; 01-23-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: make clearer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Part of the Community

Dillon 650...cuz we have one and cranks out handgun ammo quite well!

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would take a look at the Redding turret press. I have two Redding single stage presses on my bench, The truth of the matter is, any good press regardless of the color will out last you and most likely your kids as well. I am not saying you should buy the cheapest press. Redding seems to be mid way as far as price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I like Redding stuff. My brother has a Lee Classic that he is happy with. I think the Redding is at a different level.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:29 AM

I would consider the lyman.It has 8 stations and if you need extra turrets the price for them is not that bad.If you are just considering the purchase price you won't beat lee unless you can find a used turret press.You need to decide how you will use the press.If you do go to a lee press the jump in cash is modest (or the same depending on model) between a turret and progressive press.If you currently reload you have some of what you need.If you don't you may want to buy a kit.I would not go progressive if doing rifle loading.I use a single stage because I want the time to carefully inspect my cases before and after loading.I think if I used a turret or progressive I would be tempted to skip that in the quest for speed.I have been told I have OCD about reloading and my reply is that is a good thing.
bigguy54, cz550 and Waynzee like this.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
I like Redding stuff. My brother has a Lee Classic that he is happy with. I think the Redding is at a different level.
I guess it depends on how much ya want to spend. I have a single stage Lee Press that has thousands of round through it and never had a problem. Also have an RCBS single stage, the RCBS is better built.
If I was going to do a lot of hand gun loading and didn't want to get to much money tied up in a press I'd look at the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have several newer turret presses that I use. I saved these two Hollywood universal 12 hole turret presses from the junk yard that I,m going to reabilate this spring. they work they just need cleaned up and repainted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1308 (2).jpg (976.3 KB, 1 views)
cz550 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I don't like any turret press. If you load in order to craft the most accurate ammo possible why introduce a moving part that allows for a chance at less then perfect alignment with the ram. Yes, the ram is independent of the press body but why introduce another major movable component. Never understood why one would want a turret press when the goal is accuracy. If your goal is to just "crank it out" then use a Dillon as was suggested above.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

the group on the right was loaded with a lyman American turret press and fired out of a Remington 7600 in 3006(55 grs IMR 4350 and a 165gr noslet BT) at 100 yards from a rest. I don,t think my 7600 would shoot any better if the rounds were loaded on a single stage press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0589.JPG (731.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1118 (2).jpg (1.50 MB, 3 views)
bigguy54, cz550 and GSP66 like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
And why, been looking at getting one.
I think it depends on what your loading.

I like Dillon equipment and I've had an RL 550B for over 20 years and it has loaded 1000s of rounds of 38 spl, 44 mag & spl, 41 mag & spl. For straight wall handgun cartridges, non better except perhaps some of there more advanced models.

I've never used a progressive press to load bottle neck rifle cartridges.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page