Powder ID help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Powder ID help

I have a .243 that really shoots 95 grain hornady SST factory loads very well. I had a misfire that I broke apart today thinking that I could reload them myself. I checked through all of my powders and I can’t find one that looks close to the attached pic. Can somebody help me out and give me an idea of what I’m looking at? I’m thinking it’s a ball powder of some sort. For reference I measured the powder from inside the case at 49.0 grains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 715D1620-A824-4D6F-9CBF-A3F30123FC90_1545498801286.jpg (630.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Factory loaded ammo doesn't use the canister powder that is available to reloaders. Even looking at canister powders and trying to pick what it is would be next to impossible(except maybe Red Dot, Green Dot and Blue Dot) with any certainty.
JoeG52 and Dogface like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:22 PM
The Man

There is no way anyone could safely and with any certainty ID that powder.
jimsdad and outofstater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:53 PM

That's the Super performance ammo right? If so, Hodgdon make the power for it. This might also help answer your question: https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs...ormance-powder
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage

Good luck trying to identify a powder based on what it "looks like".

As reloaders, we can buy whatever canister powders are made available to us. The data is published for safely using those powders that are available.

Winging it generally results in disasters of one degree or another.

What powder an ammo manufacturer uses in large runs of ammo, is a totally different ball game. Your best and safest bet, is to find a load that closely produces the same velocities as the factory load that tickles your fancy and call it a day.
willyp, Dogface and jimsdad like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
There is no way anyone could safely and with any certainty ID that powder.
This is exactly right. Taking a guess as to what powder it is and then loading based off of that would violate one of the most basic handloading safety rules that there is.
willyp, Dogface, jimsdad and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 AM

About 50 yrs ago, I bought 2 lbs of unknown powder from a guy who found it in his deceased uncle,s home. No markings on it. I was afraid to shoot it, so I sent a small sample in an envelope to DuPont (back then they made the IMR powders). I received a written reply stating that they would need much more and that it could only be identified by doing a "bomb test" , In this test, they put a quantity of the powder in a sealed tube containing a pressure guage, and detonate it under water. My powder became lawn fertilizer.
jimsdad likes this.

benchrest
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage

Fertilizer is THE best use for unidentified powders.

Back in the mid 70s one of the guys that hunted with me, got a gallon plastic jug of powder from his dad. Was obtained at an estate sale or something, said H4831 on the side of the jug, written with a marker.

"Looked and smelled" like H4831, so my buddy loaded up a few rounds to try in his fairly new M77 7mm Rem mag. First shot locked up the bolt and produced a much stouter recoil than he was used to.

Another buddy tapped the bolt up with a leather mallet, tapped it open the same way. Had to drop a brazing rod down the bore to tap the fired case out. Local dealer sent the rifle back to Ruger to have the bolt lugs and head space checked.

Mystery powder went in the flower bed.

BTW, that incident more or less quelled the peanut gallery on the issue of how strong Ruger's investment cast receivers were, back in the day.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Last edited by DennyF; 12-23-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:59 AM

sounds more like a bad primer. dont even mess with that powder and throw it out into the yard. chalk that round up to gone and forgotten.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for your input guys. My goal here was to attempt to ID the powder based on any information i could get then find a recipe. I wouldn’t think of just picking a powder based on looks and throwing a bullet together. I have 3 reloading manuals and none of them have a recipe for a .243 where 49 grains of powder are used. I figured if someone had an idea of what the powder was I could look for recipes using the powder and at least have a starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page