lead free bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

lead free bullets

while at my sportsmen's club meeting the other night, someone brought up a possible ban of lead bullets in Pa. ive tried to find info on this but cant find much about it. when is it supposed to go into affect if ever? what would bullet makers use instead of lead? how would the bullet makers respond to this ban? just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM

I don't know of any proposed ban in Pa at the moment.If it happens I already have copper loads figured out in 243 and 30-06.I hope if it happens I can still use up the 1000's of bullets I currently have.I just got 100 lead for my 25-06 and 100 lead for the 30-06.I also cast my own pure lead projectiles for muzzleloaders.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 PM

At the rate I shoot, it would take the rest of my life to use up the lead bullets I have. That said, if there is an alternative that performs as well at a reasonably similar price, I'd not object to changing. But, I'm not going to pay twice as much for half the performance.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 PM

There is no proposed ban that I am aware of. Just talk from people. I highly doubt it would pass if there was. A lot of talk recently about lead poisoning in birds, that's the reason behind these rumors.

California is the only state with a ban that I'm aware of that bans it on a large scale. Say what you will about the politics and such, but it has IMO pushed forward the technology and availability of non-lead bullets. I've considered giving some of the non-lead rifle bullets a try, just for the heck of it. Most are made of solid copper or some copper alloy type stuff.

Last edited by Marcus99; 11-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
while at my sportsmen's club meeting the other night, someone brought up a possible ban of lead bullets in Pa. ive tried to find info on this but cant find much about it. when is it supposed to go into affect if ever? what would bullet makers use instead of lead? how would the bullet makers respond to this ban? just curious.
this probably came up because CA has banned lead for all hunting. that being said there are many manufacturers that make bullets from copper, brass, zinc, bismuth and polymer resin with powdered metal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schappellt View Post
this probably came up because CA has banned lead for all hunting. that being said there are many manufacturers that make bullets from copper, brass, zinc, bismuth and polymer resin with powdered metal.
Are performance and price of these alternatives on par with lead? Not trying to start an argument, I really don't know.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
Are performance and price of these alternatives on par with lead? Not trying to start an argument, I really don't know.
The short answer is NO. However, I think it's getting closer with time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 AM

At this point in time you can buy 2 boxes of lead rifle ammo for one box of non lead ammo.You can't even reload one box of non lead for the price of one box of factory made lead ammo.Right now you can reload with lead bullets for around half the cost of factory lead ammo.The cost is my primary concern.The non lead bullets are basically twice the cost.It isn't much of a concern for a guy that shoots a box or less a year but if like me you shoot several hundred or thousands of rounds a year it is.If lead gets banned shot gunners are going to feel the pain as well.It will double or triple the cost of that sport.It will take some people out of the shooting sports.It isn't just about hunting.If they research a replacement that is cost effective fine but they won't because it isn't their money.When I say research I mean don't tell me it ends up worse than lead.Automotive ac is a fine example.R12 was cheap but oh no it is bad for the ozone layer.So R134a comes along and is preached to be the greatest thing possible.Oops as it turns out it is more than twice as bad for the ozone.Now we have R 1234yf coming.If you could still buy R12 a pound would be about $1.50,R134 is about $5 for 12 ounces,R1234yf is going to be $43 for 8 ounces.At some point the costs we pay to save the environment are going to overwhelm a majority of the population.Trust me your boss isn't going to give you a raise because ammo prices soared.Most bullet makers will need to retool to some degree to make non lead bullets.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page