Hot fired brass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By simoncool
  • 1 Post By CMP70306

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Hot fired brass

Took some reloads to the range to fire out of a new rem 7600 30-06. Noticed after firing, some brass would come out very hot while others came out cool to the touch. Any idea what would cause this?

I had some issues in my other 7600 with these loads. Some would not chamber easily while others loaded fine. I sorted them out so I only kept the rounds that chambered easily. Checked the loads with a headspace gauge and most looked pretty good. I've since ordered and received small base dies that I hope will fix the clambering issue. Not sure if it's related to the temperature of the brass I noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 PM
New Arrival

I had the same problem with my 760. some brass would not chamber correctly I could never find what the problem was and sold the gun. I think the small base dies may help. you may be getting excessive pressure with the loads that are hot to the touch. check that brass for signs of excessive pressure.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Did you check case length...may need to be trimmed. I assume you are full length resizing. Neck sizing only is not a good idea for pump guns.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Are the cases all the same headstamp?I would do a water capacity test on them to see if the hot ones and the normal ones differ by much.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am full length sizing every time. I trim the case length every time also. The brass is not all the same headstamp. Ill look into that.
I have received my small base dies. While I've only sized the brass with them, they all look perfect in a headspace gauge. Using these dies, the base comes out about .003" - .004" smaller. Hoping this will help with the chambering issue.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

As far as excessive pressure, I don't think so. No crack or separation. The primer isn't flattened. There is a little "cratering" around the firing pin mark but both of my 7600s do this even with factory loads.
I'm wondering if on the hot rounds, perhaps the action didn't fully lock up and possibly unlocked a little faster than normal??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

First off it is a good idea to use all brass with the same head stamp for the same load from as different head stamps can vary in capacity. Second I believe it has to do with the speed that the round leaves the chamber after firing, for example just look at the brass exiting a bolt rifle vs a semi auto. I cant remember ever picking up a hot case from a bolt gun but brass from a semi is always hot. Due to the nature of the pump gun I have had where it is bumped open immediately after firing which could be the cause as the action is opening quicker than a bolt gun.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 AM

How old are your hand loads ?
Are you using Federal brass or Military brass ?

WILLY P
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Not rifle related but I was shooting my 9 mm pistol once and not finding all my brass in the uncut grass and tried catching the empties before they hit the ground. Big mistake!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page