9mm 115v124? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dogface

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

9mm 115v124?

So was looking for input here i have molds for RN and HP 9mm for casting practice rounds both are 124grain and have bee looking into stocking up on some rounds for SHTF and just in case of high prices so i have some and found a good deal on HP both 115 and 124 which would be recommended? I have a fair stock of 115 RN factory made for shooting already but is there much of a difference i know long range this would make a difference if shooting a deer rifle or something but for target and personal defense is there going to be much difference? I heard some that 124 cycle better then 115 out of some guns but that could also be the powder used to charge. Just looking for input before i place a large order

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM

I would buy a box of each and shoot them to see what your gun likes better.If they won't cycle properly it doesn't matter what grain they are.If you reload cast 124 it might help with practice but I doubt it.I would buy the cheaper of the two if they cycle.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:57 AM

MY SHTF handloads are a 125 gr Hornady HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) bullet over 4.6 gr of CFE Pistol. This load is safe in my Glock and AR9 Pistol. They run sales on these from time to time, and I think I get 500 for like 45 or 50 bucks.

I tested the HAP bullets in wet phone books, and it does expand well when pushed 1000 fps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I cast 124 because that is the only grain i could find in molds for my 9mm and i really just like shooting and casting and recycling the lead can drop the price down to pretty much the primer and powder cost which comes to 0.08 cent rough per round as to buying bulk for .18 cent. just allows me to shoot more for practice and fun. I just ordered some 124 HP going to load them see how they shoot and shoot some of my 115 RN see what cycles the best I might try different powders here then too i didnt get alot of good feed back on the kind i bought.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 AM
The Man

What make pistol do you have?

If your shooting a quality pistol like a Glock or a Sig it will function with whatever you feed it.
Pahack likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Taurus 9mm, i bought it for CC its just a tad bit hard to carry concealed with just a shirt though. I have a glock 23 and really dont like it at all in fact i have debating just trading it in for a new gun it puts the 'glock smile' on the brass expandingthe bottom of the case i dont like the look of it and wont resize them. I even replaced the trigger when i got it an have just never had it shoot a good group my friend who has the same gun has to shoot a heavier bullet to get a group mine groups better with the lighter bullet but still is not pretty. I had someone recommend to get a new barrel but i dont want to sink more money into it i have shot maybe 300 round out of it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:56 PM
The Man

The Taurus should be OK with either weight bullet.

Many say not to shoot cast bullets out of a Glock because of the polygonal rifling. I shoot them all the time and never had a problem. I reload 9mm and 10mm for the Glocks and I never had an issue with the dreaded "Glock smile".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page