savage 99 in 308 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

savage 99 in 308

I am thinking about hunting with my savage 99 in 308 this year and was wondering if any of you had suggestions to bullet size and make and loads in general. I do like how 165 spitzer boat do on a deer out of my 06 but not sure if a lighter bullet would be better for the shorter barrel

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Part of the Community

My 99 308 Worked well with 150 gr spitzers and Varget powder. Couldn't get boat tails to group well. But that was my rifle, yours could be different.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM
New Arrival

the load I use for the 4 308's in the family is: 150 gr Hornady interlock sp. 41.5 grs of H4895 and a federal 210 primer. has worked good on several deer. the longest shot about 90yds. and the closest 25yds. all bullets exited with good internal damage and fell in sight. also use this bullet in 30-06 with 1 doe being shot around 150yds with similar results. use the Hornady interlock in the majority of my guns and have always been happy with the results.good luck this year with the 99. I have one in 300 savage that I think needs to go for a walk in the woods this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another vote for the Hornady 150gr Spire Point Interlock. I have three .308s that use that bullet exclusively and I have not had any .30 caliber not shoot it well that I have tried it in.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Last edited by mfuff; 08-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use 165 gr boat tail with 4895 powder.

Are you really old enough to remember when there were huntable numbers of deer on public land?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page