Reclaiming Lead at the Range? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Reclaiming Lead at the Range?

I have just started to cast my own rounds for 9mm and was thinking about casting for my AR as well so I would have plenty of target rounds, seeing as the biggest reason i dont shoot as much as i want is the cost of ammo and time to reload. Well i have main streamed my reloading operation more with some better equipment but still finding a cheap price on the bullets themselves for just shooting can be a bit tricky so casting was a fun simple way to create less waste. My only problem is the lead for casting. If i have to buy brass so be it, that component is reusable but the lead you loose in shooting and recasting the simplest idea is to go to the range backstop and sift out the range scraps and melt it down my problem is the only range near me is a game commission range that online says it is in the lead reclaiming program. I have walked it and picked up some scraps but to get any amount i would need to sift. The range requires a permit or valid hunting license to shoot at. I couldnt find anywhere online that said you cant get the scraps though. Anyone have any info? I would plan on replacing the material right where i got it from and was planning on going when the range is empty i dont want to bother anyone.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

You are not allowed to dig lead out of the backstop on game lands ranges, you will catch a fine. When the PGC reclaims lead they sell it, and use the money to maintain the ranges. It is theft for you to do what you are planning to do. Section 135.6 of regulationson game lands:

It is unlawful to: (6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 07-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

That is what i wasnt sure about and their website is unclear well then that settles it im officially done with PGC ranges all together since mine has a very strict hours and magazine size limit makes shooting handguns and AR un enjoyable and is always crowded the only problem i have is i cant seem to fine any local ranges around to join guess its time to build a bullet trap.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage

The information I posted is on the PGC website, you have to go to the law link, then either select title 59 for regulations or title 34 for law. People shooing large capacity magazines are the reason there is a limit on the number of rounds you may load. It would be a lot less enjoyable if you had to wait behind a couple of people shooting as fast as they can with their ARs and large capacity mags shooting up a case of ammo then leaving all the surplus brass lay on the ground and leave the mess behind. There is a reason for those regulations.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 PM

WW, what if he went to a private range or a sportsmens club and got permission from the club to extract lead from backstops. is that legal?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Sage

If he got permission from a private club, no problem. However I doubt that would happen because the price of lead has clubs reclaiming lead on their grounds for both target shooting and on trap ranges.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM

WW....How do they reclaim shot at a trap range?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
WW....How do they reclaim shot at a trap range?
I believe they come in and skim off the surface layer of soil within the shot field. Then I assume that they use some sort of process to wash the dirt and trap the heavier materials(lead).

You can actually buy reclaimed shot for reloading shotgun shells.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 AM

I was at the range today with my flinter. ALL ALONE on the 50 on the pistol range area. Along comes Mr. Tactical, dressed in 5.11 pants and polo, with a chest rig on. Goes to the 25, hangs a Transstar target, and away he goes. Mag dumped 3 30 rounders in 5.56. I waited for him to be down, and I had to ask him if that was fun and thanked him for the brass. Then I told him he was a idiot and against the range rules. He didn't care, and proceeded to put his ugly NY stock back on so he can cross the border and go home.

HENCE the rules! Its like a Bud commercial, "Thank you MR. NY Mag Dumper Tactical Dude".
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 AM
Sage

Brownie, what Marcus said. They have a machine that somehow lifts the sod removes the shot and puts it back down. A club with a heavy traffic trap range can make pretty good money when they reclaim lead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page