lee molds question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

lee molds question

I am preparing to cast my own bullets for the first time. I see lee sells 1,2 and 6 bullet molds. I would like to hear some thoughts as to what bullet casters suggest I purchase. Thank you, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: lee molds question

It depends on alot of factors. That probably is not what you want to hear. But it is the truth.

Personally I do not like the Lee molds. And one reason is some inconsistencies between cavities in the same mold. But there are other reasons. However alot of guys do great with the Lee's. So to each his own.

It is more difficult to cast with multi-cavity molds. It is tougher to get your cadence down.

My suggestion for any beginner is a single cavity mold. And a stel mold like the Lyman or RCBS. They tend to hold their heat the best and IMO give the most consistent bullet to bullet pour with less rejects. I have watched beginners cast some incredible bullets on their first try with an RCBS mold. They are not the cheapest, but if you are looking for a good quality bullet then the RCBS mold deserves a second look.

All this is just an opinion. And I am sure there will be many opinions to follow. However I cast and shoot a good bit of bullets, and I do not feel hindered with a single cavity mold. However I would like to explain that I actually enjoy casting bulets.

I think God does not count time against you at the casting and reloading table. And as well when Crappie fishing!! Tom.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 AM

I've used Lee moulds for 30 cal bullets and did fine with them,but,they are tender things! Maybe i abused mine,but,it didn't last more than a few months? I got gouges on the top,where the sprue cutter runs it keep coming loose.Also few other little things happened. I would say alot of it was my fault! I bought more of them,for the price and how well the bullets are,they are good for learning casting,IMHO.
I do agree with Hoghead and am thinking of getting a steel mould,for my 30 cals.
Also,there is more to casting than just the mould and lead!There is-are,other equipment you should look into for sizeing,lubeing,and so on.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
The Man

I have two LEE molds. No real complaints concidering the cost. Just make sure you lube the spu plate properly, and you should be alright.

I have 2 cavity molds in 38 and 44 cal. A 6 cavity mold would go faster, but would require more time to get it going properly. Also depends on the type of equipment you are using. If you are just using a small ladle to fill the mold you better go with a 2 cavity.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am no fan of Lee but they do make a good priced mold for starting out. The cheap price comes with aggravation. I two would go with the 2 Cavity. I would also invest in the Lyman cast bullet manual. Start out doing it right and you will not need to brake any bad habits latter.
There is more to casting good bullets, than melting lead and pouring into a mold. Lee molds do drop good bullets, but there is a good reason they are a ¼ the price of quality molds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page