recycling - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

recycling

Been catching up on doing my part for recycling. Spent last couple days casting with new mold for my 45's. Will be a few weeks before I can test loads with them. Also doing some loading with my old style. Need to stock up for some upcoming matches. Switched over to Hi Tek coating. Very easy and works great. Shake and bake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recycle.jpg (121.3 KB, 2 views)

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Shake and bake. Hi Tek coating operation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recycle2a.jpg (144.5 KB, 2 views)

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 AM

Been buying and shooting .45 200 gr PC bullets from a local supplier for a while now and think they are outstanding. Looked up the coating processes on You Tube out of curiosity and was surprised by the variations out there as well as the steps in the processes. This, to me anyhow, is not something to be taken on by the faint of heart or someone who lacks the mental aptitude to be multi-tasking and laser focused.
It is way beyond what I am willing to do relative to reloading. Too much time and process and too many moving parts and I admire your dedication to it all.

Good job and thanks for sharing!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Hi tek is not a powder coating. More of a polymer. Hi Tek comes in powder form, but you mix it with denatured alcohol. I put 100-150 bullets in a plastic tub (that I bought potato salad or cole slaw in at the supermarket), put about 3 ml of the coating in (a very little goes a looooong way), shake and swirl bullets in container for 15-20 secs. After that, toss on a screen tray to dry for about 5 mins then put in a toaster oven at 375-400* for 12 mins. Do it for 2 coats and size. I run 3 trays of 100-150 bullets at a time so there is no down time on the oven. May make 1 or 2 more trays for future. I would not even mess with powder coating, that looks like a pain in the butt as well as a big mess when I looked on you tube a while back.

Wheel wgts were free, toaster oven $30-35 and $11 for 3.5oz of Hi Tek (which looks like will do about 10,000 bullets, if not more). I 1st bought a 7oz container of Hi Tek for $20. No idea when I will use that all up haha.

If you cast pistol bullets I would say this is the way to go for volume and smoke free shooting with is nice for competition shooting

Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page