Trouble roll crimping 28 and 410 shotshells - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trouble roll crimping 28 and 410 shotshells

I have been having trouble roll crimping new 28 gauge and 410 bore plastic shotshells. I have had excellent results with 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauges. I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same issues and if you found a solution? I have tried all the things that BPI has suggested and they say they get good results. The photo shows typical 28 gauge rolls. They look relatively good if I am very careful until the case mouth hits the overshot card which is when it squashes for lack of a better term. BPI has replaced the 28 gauge roll crimper and it is identical as the original. If I roll an empty hull it works great. I am using a hull vice so squaring up the case to the crimper is not an issue. Speed is 250 rpm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheddite 28 gauge roll 2.JPG (539.4 KB, 3 views)

Diversity exists because of what makes America great --- our freedom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
The Man

If the crimp on the empty shell is coming out OK I'd suspect the hull may be too long. With the empty there is room to roll the crimp into the empty space but with a load the extra space needed for crimp to fold in is not there.

I'd try a smaller / lighter load or thinner overshot card wad to give the crimp more room to fold in. If that works I'd trim the hulls slightly and then try to roll crimp the regular load.

BTW I don't think your crimps look that bad. How do they pattern?

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. The problem I am running into is two fold from what I am seeing with the loads I am trying to use. The roll crimps on the 10-20 gauge hulls usually feel hot when I finish them. The 28 and 410 are still cool. I seem to be having trouble getting them warm enough to soften properly. The other thing I have been seeing is that the roll looks pretty good until it hits the card. With the larger gauges I can put a little pressure on the crimper to make sure it is seating and sealing the load well but not so with the 28 and 410. They seem to squash the moment I hit the card and put any slight pressure on them. I've loaded a couple hundred so far in the 28 and one other thing I've noticed is I have a crimper from BPI and Precision Reloading. I only have the trouble with the BPI model. The one from Precision Reloading holds the roll in place well. I talked to BPI and they even replaced their crimper but the new one does the same thing. I know I could just say I'll use the PR one but I like the general look of the BPI rolls on the larger gauges. So bottom line is I seem to be having some type of technique issue which I just can't figure out. I'll keep working on it and try your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

By the way, here are some of my loads to show how the crimps look. The clear one is a Cheddite Buckshot load, the two with "H" marked are the difference between the PR and BPI crimps, left PR, right BPI and the one marked BB is a 10 gauge Cheddite. I have tried several brands of hulls and 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge with great results so it is just the BPI crimper in the 28 and 410. I haven't been able to pick up a PR 410 roll crimper as they have been out of stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheddite 12 gauge roll Buckshot.JPG (376.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Cheddite 28 gauge roll 4.JPG (262.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Cheddite 28 gauge roll 3.JPG (1.14 MB, 2 views)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 AM

it looks like the crimp on the shotshells were star crimped to begin with. are the hulls new or once fired. if they were originally star crimped you would be better off using a star crimp when reloading them. the creases in the star crimp might cause the roll crimp to bend or buckle. just a thought.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

These are all new hulls.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm still open to suggestions as nothing I try seems to work. They shoot ok but look terrible. It just doesn't seem right that when I get perfect results from 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge that I should be having trouble with 28 and 410. I've tried oiling the case top, changing the column height, adjusting the time on the case to help warm it up (which helps a little with the roll but not the squashing). I've tried changing speeds but that seems to have little effect. I can go back to fold crimps which work well and are easier to assemble but I would like to have this in my bag of tricks. Just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Frustrating after 50 years of reloading!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 PM
The Man

I wish I had an answer for you. I can understand your frustration.

You mentioned not getting the tool hot enough and that is necessary for good roll crumps. That and maybe the thickness of the hull wall compared to the diameter of the 28 and 410 hulls could be an issue.

As I said before the rounds you completed don't look bad yo me. I'd be happy with those.

Good luck and if I stumble across anything that I think will be helpful I'll post it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM

I had that problem for a while but a simple fix corrected it. I rolled load the hulls and than took the shells to a regular press and did and extra step and used the crimping station. Every hull came out perfect. Or another option is to buy a Gaep roll crimper.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:06 AM
The Man

This is for 12 to 20 gage but I wonder if you had a tool similar if you could thin your hull at the mouth and give them a little more room to roll over.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Po...tinfo/0740011/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page