New 7MM REM MAG SAVAGE 111 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

New 7MM REM MAG SAVAGE 111

Getting a new Savage 11/111 hunter XP in 7MM REM MAG that I will hunt deer and black bear (newb at bear).

For those reloading this cartridge for hunting, what grain bullet are you using for these game animals? I have a bunch of 140 grain Nosler Partitions that i plan on using for deer. What grain you guys using for bear in this caliber?

Thanks....please no knocks on the rifle, i'm excited to get it and its in my budget . I will probably move my Leupold VX-1 3-9 x 40 over to it from my 308.
SlickShot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:25 PM

I have a 111 and love it, But you may need to get a set of Weaver Extension rings, because the 111 has a long action receiver and your Leupold V X is short and will not fit across the bolt and the rings will hit on the cant on the front and you will not be able slide the scope to adjust eye relief....This was the case with mine, if you find the same problem, give me a shout out and I will give you the info for the base and rings that will fixed the problem...Just a heads up....Good Luck with your new Savage, I really like mine....
nomad_archer likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
I have a 111 and love it, But you may need to get a set of Weaver Extension rings, because the 111 has a long action receiver and your Leupold V X is short and will not fit across the bolt and the rings will hit on the cant on the front and you will not be able slide the scope to adjust eye relief....This was the case with mine, if you find the same problem, give me a shout out and I will give you the info for the base and rings that will fixed the problem...Just a heads up....Good Luck with your new Savage, I really like mine....
Thanks Slick Shot. It comes with a Nikon scope BDC scope, but I've always been particular to Leupold. Should come in withing the next few days hopefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 ruger View Post
Thanks Slick Shot. It comes with a Nikon scope BDC scope, but I've always been particular to Leupold. Should come in withing the next few days hopefully.
Your welcome, I too prefer Leupolds on all my rifles, But the Nikon may work out just as well...Enjoy....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM

After I shot up the factory shells I bought when I got the rifle I started reloading 145 gr. Speer Hot-cor and have never used anything else! I have shot 1 bear and dozens of deer and am 100% satisfied. The factory ammo was 154 gr. hornady and they worked well also. I load the 145s with CCI large rifle primers and 62.5 gr. of IMR 4350.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
After I shot up the factory shells I bought when I got the rifle I started reloading 145 gr. Speer Hot-cor and have never used anything else! I have shot 1 bear and dozens of deer and am 100% satisfied. The factory ammo was 154 gr. hornady and they worked well also. I load the 145s with CCI large rifle primers and 62.5 gr. of IMR 4350.
Thank you. I'll look into this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Looking through the Lee manual for 7mm Rem Magum, I notice that it indicates "Large Rifle Prilmer".

I was a little surprised there werent any recipes in the book using Magnum primers.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 PM

sounds like a good you are getting , hope you enjoy it and have good luck with it
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Getting a new Savage 11/111 hunter XP in 7MM REM MAG that I will hunt deer and black bear (newb at bear).

For those reloading this cartridge for hunting, what grain bullet are you using for these game animals? I have a bunch of 140 grain Nosler Partitions that i plan on using for deer. What grain you guys using for bear in this caliber?

Thanks....please no knocks on the rifle, i'm excited to get it and its in my budget . I will probably move my Leupold VX-1 3-9 x 40 over to it from my 308.
I wont knock the rifle, I'll sing it's praises. I got my son an Axis 2 in 6.5 Creedmore and it is, by a long way, the most accurate rifle right out of the box, that I've never bought. I never thought too much about Savage until my 13 year old son was shooting MOA groups on about the third time he's EVER shot from the bench with one. Now, I'm going to get one. They are shooters.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Looking through the Lee manual for 7mm Rem Magum, I notice that it indicates "Large Rifle Prilmer".

I was a little surprised there werent any recipes in the book using Magnum primers.
You will find them on the Hodgdon reloading site.I think you will like the rifle.I have 4 Savage rifles and all shoot great.Give that Nikon BDC a chance it isn't really a bad scope.One came on my Savage 16 in 204 Ruger.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Last edited by Hiamovi; 03-30-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page