Jack O'Connor loads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Jack O'Connor loads

O'Connor's load for 150-grain bullets was 58.5 grains of H4831, for which he reported velocities around 2,950 feet per second in a 22" barrel. In two model 70s with 22" barrels the load gave me 2,883 fps in one rifle, 2,907 in the other.

I found this artical written by Dave Anderson. Where is this powder charge found? I checked my manuals... nada.

do the homework before the hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Jack O'Connor loads

Uncle Jack was pretty brazen back in the day about his data being published. Even then he got " persuaded" to lower his beloved 130 grain recipe to 60 grains in his writings, although he was using 62 or 63. It is unlikely due to liabilities that you will find his real data published today. The best source to get close with the loads of the 50's is to find an original Hornady manual from back then. The loads published in those era books would not make it near "max" in a modern manual, but they all work great and have all been safe for me for years and years. Most of my data for my hunting rifles begins with a 1966 Hornady Handbook. You can find them on Ebay and some auctions.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Uncle Jack was pretty brazen back in the day about his data being published. Even then he got " persuaded" to lower his beloved 130 grain recipe to 60 grains in his writings, although he was using 62 or 63. It is unlikely due to liabilities that you will find his real data published today. The best source to get close with the loads of the 50's is to find an original Hornady manual from back then. The loads published in those era books would not make it near "max" in a modern manual, but they all work great and have all been safe for me for years and years. Most of my data for my hunting rifles begins with a 1966 Hornady Handbook. You can find them on Ebay and some auctions.
Joe,
my Hornady #6 manual lists 62 grains of H4831 at 3000 fps with a 130 grain SP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you test that in a 24" tube you will probably get higher velocities. I unhooked the scanner from my office when I got a new system last year, but if you PM me your address I will mail you the Hornady pages.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
The Man

Jack was using milsurp H4831 (developed for the 20mm cannon)....I bought it for 65 cents a pound in the early 60s...newly manufactured H4831 has a different burn rate than the milsurp variety....

I have all the Speer books which, other than the Lyman/Ideal, were the first on the market....some of the charges are downright scary in the early Speers...many of the powder burning rates have changed over the years...

Caution must be used when using data from old reloading manuals....

The advances in propellants available to handloaders have enabled us to achieve velocities previously unattainable with the old standby Dupont/IMR and Hodgdon series. Coupled with the super-accurate bullets available these days and it's any wonder sub-MOA rifles abound....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Always use caution, start 10% less than max and work your way up, its just common sense. Most of the loads called "Max" in todays manuals are anemic. A young shooter getting into reloading would never realize the safe potential of his gun if all he had were todays manuals. A little grey hair around the ears makes a fella a bit wiser when you have been loading for several decades. And never forget, most Max loads are not the most accurate loads. Just use your head, look for pressure signs as you develope upward, and back off if you see the signs.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Always use caution, start 10% less than max and work your way up, its just common sense. Most of the loads called "Max" in todays manuals are anemic. A young shooter getting into reloading would never realize the safe potential of his gun if all he had were todays manuals. A little grey hair around the ears makes a fella a bit wiser when you have been loading for several decades. And never forget, most Max loads are not the most accurate loads. Just use your head, look for pressure signs as you develope upward, and back off if you see the signs.
I'm not one to go above max unless it's higher in another manual, not usually though.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM

When I was a young lad Jack was my hero. I read ALL his books. IMO Jack would love the 270 WSM.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use 59 grns of 4831 with a speer 130 grn and it chronys at 3050.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still think it prudent to start low, and work up using YOUR RIFLE. not all guns will treat the same load the same as the other guy.

I got this rubbed in my face last week too when working on some SGK 165's using RL15 in my .308

I started at the "start load" in my hornady manual. 5 shots same hole...i thought wow...rifle likes this combo. i worked up to max (published max is 46gr's and at 46.2 my bolt got really tight and the primers at 46.0 were starting to flatten a little. I pulled the bullets on the 46.5 loads and reworked. the groups were beginning to tighten up, but for MY rifle, the sweet spot in this load for accuracy was above what my pressure levels like. i want to chrony this load, but the accuracy is fine IMO.

.308 Marlin XS7, 165gr SGK SPBT, 42.0 gr RL15, win brass, cci primer, 2.800" with a trip thru the LFCD.

i'm concerned about the lower velocity, a little...but knowing that all the deer i'll be shooting with this will be at 300 or less yards with the vast majority of shots being at 100 or less, the velocity concern dwindles quickly.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page