Bullet speed for the mushroom? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Bullet speed for the mushroom?

Do you think there is a minimum speed,for a given caliper and grain weight of a round,to open up and do its job?
Could it be the minimum powder loads in a ,say,Sierra manual?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Bullet speed for the mushroom?

some manufactures list what minimum and maximum velocities are reqiured others don't. Some use pressure for load data, some use velocity.

Just depends on the construction and how well they hold up. It's an experiment you'll have to work out. Animals are different than Geletin. I talked with Sierra and they told me that I can use start loads to hunt with, so what does that tell you? Factory ammo isn't a light load. Any factory ammo I pulled apart isn't no start load, I'll tell ya that.

do the homework before the hunt
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All the "energy" that is talked about is not so much the energy that is transferred to an animal, it is the energy that lets the bullet do it's job like expand and penetrate. Inside 150-200yds all big game calibers that drive bullets going at least 1800fps hold enough energy to let the bullets get where they need to get inside the animal and deform enough to cause damage. Rounds like the 30/30 drop off quickly and their effective range is limited to the velocity and energy to get the bullet to reliably expand. Beyond 200 yards rifle cartridges in the 6mm-.35cal. range with bullets going 2500+fps at the muzzle are able to extend the range where the bullets still perform, even out to 300-400yds. Within and beyond that range and especially on big game like bears , moose and big elk the magnums provide the velocity and energy to drive those bullets into and through muscle and bone. The energy produced is more for the bullet to reliably penetrate and expand. the minimum loads in books provide enough energy for these bullets to get the job done but possibly the effective range is shortened.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
moose and big elk the magnums provide the velocity and energy to drive those bullets into and through muscle and bone.
Magnums aren't nessesary up to reasonable ranges.. 600 yards.

Quote:
the minimum loads in books provide enough energy for these bullets to get the job done but possibly the effective range is shortened.
Max loads with premium bullets that can perform will be sufficent at listed ranges at listed velocity.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandunder1inch
Quote:
moose and big elk the magnums provide the velocity and energy to drive those bullets into and through muscle and bone.
Magnums aren't nessesary up to reasonable ranges.. 600 yards.

Quote:
the minimum loads in books provide enough energy for these bullets to get the job done but possibly the effective range is shortened.
Max loads with premium bullets that can perform will be sufficent at listed ranges at listed velocity.
I am not saying anything is necessary, just showing examples of what the differences in velocity and energy can be had and what those effects will be to the bullet with different cartridges. Simply, the energy produced by cartridges have more of an effect on bullet performance than they do to animals. That performance can and will be both good and bad depending on bullet type, design and velocity that it is driven to.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally, I never want to find a "mushroom" in any animal I shoot. I want an entrance and exit hole.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff
Personally, I never want to find a "mushroom" in any animal I shoot. I want an entrance and exit hole.
yeah, too much is better, BUT, your statement....

Quote:
That performance can and will be both good and bad depending on bullet type, design and velocity that it is driven to.
So if you rather have a bullet to exit, then you better have a bullet that WILL expand enough at high velocity.

Basically plan how far your shots are.... long, medium, or short range. I used a start load at close to 300 a couple of years ago, and it exited the doe I took. It grazed the top of the heart. I believe if it didn't I would have lost that deer. When I butchered it, it didn't have much damage. The bullet was a 140 grain Sierra GK.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use well constructed bullets that both expand and penetrate. While I use Barnes X and TSX bullets the majority of bullets that I use on Whitetails are Hornady SP Interlocks. Except when using light for caliber bullets (like 130gr in 30-06/.308) I have never recovered a bullet in a deer. I shoot(all Hornady) 150gr Bullets in the .308 win and 30-06, 165 gr in the .300Wby mag, 130gr in the .270 and .270WSM and 139gr in the 7mm Mag and have never recovered one in a deer. I don't plan on shots and have taken deer from point blank out to 400yds.

Now I have found Nosler ballistic tips, Nosler solid base, Sierra GK's, Hornadt SSt, and Rem. CoreLoks inside of deer. While very dead, I did not like finding those bullets, especially on broadside shots. Sometimes some exited, sometimes parts of some exited and sometimes they were found mushroomed or in pieces. If I had to hunt with one bullet for the rest of my life it would be a Hornady Sp Interlock for every caliber I own.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandunder1inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff
yeah, too much is better, BUT, your statement....

Quote:
That performance can and will be both good and bad depending on bullet type, design and velocity that it is driven to.
So if you rather have a bullet to exit, then you better have a bullet that WILL expand enough at high velocity.

Basically plan how far your shots are.... long, medium, or short range. I used a start load at close to 300 a couple of years ago, and it exited the doe I took. It grazed the top of the heart. I believe if it didn't I would have lost that deer. When I butchered it, it didn't have much damage. The bullet was a 140 grain Sierra GK.
That start load did not create enough energy at 300yds to expand the bullet and it acted much like solid. Bumped up another 200fps or so and it probably would have performed better. The same load at 100yds probably would have worked much better.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The funny thing about this load is, I e-mailed Sierra and asked them about thier accuracy loads, start loads, and hunting loads. I asked them if I could use a start load to hunt with or even a accuracy load, and they said yes. So then I asked why the max loads. They replied because that's what people want. It's sad that people have to learn on thier own about terminal performance. Although Nosler shows bullet performance at different velocities. Supposedly they mushroom at minimum and maximum velocities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page