.223 bullet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

.223 bullet

I know this comes up every year but when I tried to search for the old threads I could not find them.
What .223 bullet do you recommend for deer?
I will be hunting in WV and using my AR-15.
I have been looking at Nosler Partitions, Barnes X and Trophy Bonded Bear claws.
Is there others that you recommend or any of these that you would stear clear of?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM
The Man

Re: .223 bullet

I like how the Partition bullets shoot... If I was going to use the .224 for deer it would be with the Partition 60 grainers... reason...Always just had good results on deer with the smaller caliber Nosler Partitions...I don't know anything about the others..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Barnes TSX. 53-55gr unless your rifling will stabilize longer/heavier bullets like the 62 or 70gr TSX.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 AM

Years ago before the three bullets you mentioned were in production I killed a decent adult doe with a handloaded Winchester 64Gr. Power Point. The rifle was a Ruger 77 in 223 Rem. The shot was quartering towards me at 65 yards. I hit her just behind the shoulder and got full penetration with the bullet exiting just behind the last rib with a nickel size exit wound. She ran off about 35/40 yards and gave up the ghost for a one shot kill. If I would try it again I think I would use that bullet or maybe the Nosler 60gr. Partition.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Tried the 53gr tsx but couldnt get it to shoot as well. Going with the 60grVmax out of a 22 250. Heard good on the partions and win 64.
Have heard and seen a lot of guys using the 60s on hogs with good results.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to archer1214

I (my daughter) uses 60 gr Partitions with no trouble. Shoots out of a Rem 78 with 1:12 twist. I had similar problems with the TSX out of my .270 Win....could'nt get to group. Went with Sierra G-king 130's

In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is king

NRA member
NAHC Life Member

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My nephew and I have shot several with 55 gr Coreloks and had super results in our .22-250's.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd give the 55 TTSX a try. I use a lot of different barnes and use the 45 TSX in the 221. Except for one handgun I am able to get an X to shoot better than the partitions and in every test the X out penetrates the partition. For me this a critical factor in a 22 big game bullet. My guess is you won't keep the X inside a deer unless it is lengthwise.

In tests I've done on dead animals the partition creates a very wide wound channel immediately after entry until the front blows off and then a very deep but also narrow wound channel as the bullet now is almost back to caliber width. The X doesn't create such a wide entry channel but it carries the wound width deeper as the frontal area stays wide and also full weight is maintained.

Partitions are good bullets and I've taken 2 bear with them but for me the X has been more accurate and definitely out penetrates it.

This is a dead coon that I shot end to end with a .451 partition at 50yd for a test and then opened up the skin. You can see the bullet expanded well after entry but left a caliber size exit hole on the front shoulder. Groundhogs that I've shot with a similar 250 TSX have huge exits on end to end shots. In this case though I chose the partition because it shot better in that handgun, it ultimately performed better than I could imagine on a B&C bear, a pass through and the bear only went about 20 feet.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM

I contacted Barnes after i couldnt get the 53gr TSX to group from my a-bolt in 22-250, with a 14 twist they recommend a 45gr tsx. I rev them up to about 3800 fps and they are a deer killer and shoot very good with my 14 twist. Barnes bullets are copper so all bets are off from what we usually know about twist -vs- bullet weight and even with a 45fr tsx HP i get complete pass thru with a great wound channel.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 AM
The Man

Hornady 50 grain sp or sx. I have the same gun in a rem. 78. The 12 twist in my opinion is somuch better than the 14 like the factory 22-250's have. I think that extra spin is why the 223 will drop them so quick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page