300 Win Mag Loads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

300 Win Mag Loads

Just acquired a 26 inch TC Encore barrel in 300 Win Mag. Any good advice on Powder selections. Probably going to load a 168 Grain Berger VLD right out the gate, but I am open to advice on loading this monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your not 100% set on the Berger VLD I would take a look at the Hornady ELD bullets. I have been having great success with them in my .300 however I've been shooting the 178, 212 and 225 rather than the 168s.

As for powder I would look in the burning rate between H4831 and H1000. In my dad's .300 I was running the 178 ELD-X at 79gr H1000, I used it because I have a lot of H1000. His browning can support a 3.5 COAL so that might be a high charge in your rifle so as always work up. Since your running a single shot I would load them out as far as you can to maximize capacity.

I assume based on you bullet choice this is for long range shooting?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
If your not 100% set on the Berger VLD I would take a look at the Hornady ELD bullets. I have been having great success with them in my .300 however I've been shooting the 178, 212 and 225 rather than the 168s.

As for powder I would look in the burning rate between H4831 and H1000. In my dad's .300 I was running the 178 ELD-X at 79gr H1000, I used it because I have a lot of H1000. His browning can support a 3.5 COAL so that might be a high charge in your rifle so as always work up. Since your running a single shot I would load them out as far as you can to maximize capacity.

I assume based on you bullet choice this is for long range shooting?
Yes, I was going to try... lol.. TRY...
Actually its for my western trips. I wanted a do it all caliber incase I was after something bigger then muleys and whitetail. I'm not set on a bullet weight yet, trying to determine my needs... should I go big and slower to reduce meat damage, or speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post

Yes, I was going to try... lol.. TRY...
Actually its for my western trips. I wanted a do it all caliber incase I was after something bigger then muleys and whitetail. I'm not set on a bullet weight yet, trying to determine my needs... should I go big and slower to reduce meat damage, or speed.
I personally go heavier though not exactly slower, I'm pushing the 225s at 2910 fps and the 212s are going 3000 fps out of a 30" barrel. However the gun weighs 20# so recoil isn't much of a factor, in your 10# TC it would kick the crap out of you.

There is two schools of thought on this topic, fast and flat with limited range vs more trajectory for greater range. If your more of a point and shoot kind of guy go with fast and flat, if your more into math and pushing the limit go with heavier.

The biggest thing is knowing the max effective range of the projectile you choose. This is typically 2000 fps for most projectiles such as Berger though some such as the ELD-M are good down to 1600 fps. The downside to such projectiles is requiring a heavier weight to compensate for the fragmenting of the bullet in the animal.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Brother, thanks for the advice. I am a Hornady guy so I will check out that ELD-X.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Same here, my reloading room is a sea of red. I've shot Hornady since I started shooting however when I got into the long range game 6 years ago their high BC options were limited. Because of this I ran the 230 Berger in my old rifle and started my new rifle with the 215. Once the ELDs came out I have pretty much transitioned back to Hornady entirely.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

They make awesome stuff... my 150 Gr interlock on my ODD6 knocked my bear right down this year
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 PM

I have had good results with RL22 and 165 grain nosler NBTs.
Pahack likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would personally not use a 165/168 cup and core if close shots were a possibility. They'll work but can get a little messy with high impact speeds on bone. I think that for most hunting applications a 180 -210 bullet will be the best choice. I load 180 Partitions over Reloder 22 for my dad's 300 wm and 180 Accubonds over Reloder 23 for mine. I've shot mine to 600 yards which isn't really long range but it far enough for me with a hunting rifle. The bergers/elds/LRAB/etc don't really have a ton of advantage out to what I consider maximum hunting range. I have a heavy .260 for playing around farther than that. I use eld-x's in that.

I think you need to define what distance you intend to shoot and go from there.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rovert do you have good results withe Accubonds I'm thinking of trying them this season?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page